Windows 10 Can Disable Pirated Games (PC Gamer)

-PC Gamer:

According to Microsoft's recently updated EULA, Windows 10 can find and disable pirated games from your computer.

Windows EULA:

"We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services."

What do you guys think of this? To me it's another one of those moral decisions, yes it could be pirated content but the scanning part isn't cool. I wonder how exactly it will check if the content is pirated, or who it will detect an "unauthorized hardware peripheral device", what would such a device even consist of?

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-can-disable-pirated-games/

More sensationalist headlines. Yes MS can prevent pirated games BUT ONLY those provided as a Microsoft service.

Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates are subject to these Terms unless other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. Microsoft isn’t obligated to make any updates available and we don’t guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/?s=ecym#serviceslist

And here is a list of the Services

The following products, apps and services are covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement, but may not be available in your market.

Note: TS forum sucks for copying and pasting lists so I just used print screen for convenience.

1 Like

Shit they might disable my pirated copy of movie maker.

6 Likes

I'm mostly interested in this part. What does this mean? unless it's referencing something that has been in GroupPolicy.

1 Like

Interesting, it still doesn't quite explain what they mean by hardware peripherals. Also, I notice there is some free software on that list, wonder why they chose to include those?

Same, it's quite a broad term. I wonder how exactly they plan on disabling it too.

This is more interesting. Does this mean no alternative controllers using an xbox controller layout?

1 Like

That's nightmare fuel.

LOL..... every week it's a new revelation, Win 10 is going to go down in history as the most intrusive operating system ever created, amazing what happens when you give something away for free and dangle a few carrots for added incentive.

3 Likes

They are slowly creeping into OSX territory huh?

1 Like

Yep and once again MS isn't leading but following the path others have carved. :)

1 Like

Initially I thought of USB drives and such, where an admin for a Windows Domain can specify the types of devices that can be connected to a workstation.

Now all that's left is to make some fancy new Vulkan based games. and figure out how we can make a DX --> Vulkan translator for old games.

OR, fix the PlayOnLinux stuff to work better with current games.

Nah, Android holds that title. Contary to popular belief. Windows is a close second.

It's going to be even more amazing for those who buy the system builder kek

I assume it has something to do with possible stolen devices like a reported stolen Windows Phone. A lot of people tend to resell stolen products to unsuspecting people as legitimate products.

Just make sure when you buy something off of eBay (or wherever) that you call the manufacturer to register it before you connect the product. If it's stolen, then don't even think about connecting it if it's been reported stolen to the manufacturer.

Wait what? how is android holding the title in following the path others have carved?

1 Like

While I agree with you in the case of Win 10 the fat lady hasn't finished her solo yet, the best may be yet to come.

Some of the most played Windows games, including the most played in the world.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/linux-mint-17-2-working-windows-games-using-pol/85602

^^^^^^^^^ This, there are several different avenues available from POL, Wine, and my favorite just running windows in a KVM locked down, it's funny to me the lengths people will have to go to to run Win 10 with a little privacy, other than DX12 I really see no good reason to even consider Win 10 and to me DX12 isn't a big enough carrot, I can suffer through playing a game with less capabilities to save a little in the privacy department.

1 Like