Windows 10 blue screen on boot

I have a Windows 10 installation in my computer and every time I boot into windows, it gives me bsod. When booting into repair mode, it can’t do a self repair, and I can’t roll back feature or quality updates either. Is there anything I can do to repair my installation?

I should note, prior to this, it would pretty frequently blue screen. I don’t think it managed to have more than 30 minutes of uptime without bsod in the past 3 weeks.

I can boot into it with Ubuntu just fine and get uptime for at least a few hours overnight while running some stress tests.

I presume the Ubuntu was on a Live USB / CD? If so you proved most of your PC hardware is good, so it may be the HD Windows is on. Repair the boot drive of Win10 and run a thorough Check Disk of the Windows OS drive. Is it HDD, SSD or NVMe drive?

A screenshot of the BSOD screen would help. Hard to fault find stuff like this without a lot of detail. How long was it working before developing issues? Any BIOS updates or changes to the PC before the issue arose? Have you scanned for malware?

While in safe mode with networking run:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /SCANNOW

in an admin CMD window. This should fix any base OS issues, if they exist.

Check errors in Event Viewer.

3 Likes

can you do safe mode

Ubuntu was on a different SSD (NVMe M.2).

Windows is on an NVMe. The BSOD doesn’t last long enough for me to get a screenshot. It flashes for maybe half a second. I did do a BIOS update back in September, but it had some stability issues prior to the update. I’m on a 3700X with X570 Aorus I (most recent bios now). After the update it stable for a few weeks before starting to crash again. Windows doesn’t stay up long enough for me to do a complete full or quick malware scan.

I’ll try booting into safe mode next and running your commands, and a malware scan, and then report back.

It’s unstable in safe mode. When I open the command prompt, it just crashes.

I was able to film the bsod and got this frame.

This screen is the same one that pops up for safe mode and regular boot. I’m trying a full system scan now while logged into regular mode. We’ll see if it’s stable enough to go through a full scan.

either your install is fucked, or your SSD is dying

sfc /scannow. first.
if you get errors and they are repaired run sfc /scannow till you see no more errors repaied.

then do dism.

@op boot into windows repair c: prompt.
do the above repairs there if it will let you, then you should be able to boot into windows.

1 Like

Trying this now, will report back if anything comes up. Probably will take a few hours

Id be adding memtest86+ to the list of things to do as well

SFC /SCANNOW followed by DISM commands seems to have made it more stable. There was a crash in the middle of the night according to event logs, but it went at least a few hours this time before it crashed. It’s at least usable now. SSD health is reported as fine. Anything else I can do for longer term stability?

now your sort of working…
go into bios and load optimized defaults.
check you drive load order make sure hpet is enabled. save and quit…
boot to windows and see how long your stable.

Do a data backup and then REFORMAT your drive! I found out reformatting is faster than having Microsoft and you trying to fix your computer!

while i would agree a fresh install is needed.
he would be better served if he can get his system stable by getting his ram working without error first.
that way when he does go to clean install the install will be error free.

It seems pretty stable now. Was able to have more than 24 hour up time before I needed to run my Linux partition. Will do a little more stability testing in the next few weeks and possibly do a fresh install. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Just a quick word on DISM and SFC. DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) should be done first to make sure the local Windows image on your PC is free of corruption. Then you run SFC which checks your Windows files against that image. Even if DISM says there is no issue with your image, it’s a good idea to run all three commands to make sure your baseline is solid.

If you run SFC first with corrupt image files, you run the risk of making things worse because the DISM image is taken as gospel.

After running SFC, you should reboot (cold boot preferred. Unplug your system from power for 30 secs and disconnect your battery if a laptop to kill everything in RAM), then run SFC again. Even when SFC says in the CMD window that there were no issues found, it may have found something and repaired it anyway. Running it a second time validates all is well and fixes any files locked or otherwise inaccessible from the first corrupted run.

Windows lies to you all the time. It caches errors in RAM, but does not clear that error when you fix the issue. Those errors can survive reboots, so Windows sees the error and still thinks it’s broken, even when all is well. Windows will bold face lie to you. From calculating file transmission times, running programs / services you explicitly told it NOT to run, hard drive space available, to telling you all is well even though your system is at deaths door. Ronald Reagan’s “Trust, but verify” quote is applicable when dealing with Windows installs.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll do a cold boot and rerun some of these commands.

cheers. for some reason ive alway used sfc/scannow first.
probbably because dism came after…

meh! guess you learn something new every day :wink:

Well, problem has started reappearing again. I can’t get computer to stay booted long enough (even in safe mode) to do a sfc or dism scan. Any suggestions from here besides just reinstalling windows?

time to try and get your ram stable.

then install a fresh o.s.

when i made my initial suggestion was to fix your o.s enough so that when you started stablising the ram, it wouldnt be the o.s. causing the bsods.

basically you were meant to fix it then work on your stability…
it was never fix it and just keep using it till you need to fix it again…

so this time… fresh install… and then start tuning your memory and run it at a speed that isnt constantly producing errors.