Windows 10 - All things Virtualization is screwed up

I’m on the latest stable build of Windows 10, 18363.836.

Something feels horribly broken in my system in regards to virtualization: both VMWare and VirtualBox has several issues stopping me from creating VM’s.

In the case of VirtualBox, I’ve tried creating Ubuntu and Fedora VM’s, both of which end in an error having to do with a faulty ISO or disk. Installs always fail.

In the case of VMWare Player, it says that Windows Defender Credential Guard is enabled and thus it can’t run, but I have made sure to disable it in Group Policy.

Has anyone had issues like this?

Experienced the same problem.

Current workarround is to use Hyper-V for virtual machines on Windows host.

1 Like

Yes.

You have hyper-v enabled. This means that the virtualization extensions(intel vt-x, etc) are not available anymore. You have to disable hyper-v for things to work again.

There are a bunch of features now that turn on hyper-v. WSL 2, windows sandbox, defender credential guard, hyper-v itself, virtual machine platform, windows hypervisor platform, maybe others.

1 Like

Is it possible to set up a Debian guest on a windows 10 machine to act as a pinhole?

I have one Fedora 31 XFCE box and one Win8.1 box.
To MS credit, the “Quick create” dialog in the Hyper-V manager is pretty quick to get up and running.

I don’t have hyper-v directly enabled, but I did enable Windows Sandbox. But after turning that off, now VBox is saying virtualization on my CPU is disabled, even though I could still launch a live Ubuntu VM on VBox lol.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3204980/virtualization-applications-do-not-work-together-with-hyper-v-device-g

Also you could try bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off as admin cmd and reboot.

1 Like