Windows 10 32bit vs 64bit: 32bit version is performing faster on the same machines!

Hi. I've posted it on Linus's forum but I forgot to post here. Sorry!

Hello everyone!

After the advent of the infamous Windows 10 (doesn't matter v1511 or v1607), IT problems and headaches have skyrocketed. Couple of times I heard Luke saying the annoyance of trying to benchmark machines with the instability of Windows 10.

I have to say that it can get much worse when you have Active Directory. Our machines after join the Active Directory are now unbearable to login and use. Even when using software like DisableWinTracking, Spybot Anti-beacon etc, Microsoft services some times take almost 100% of disk and/or memory usage, and arround 90% (!!) of CPU usage most at login time and randomly during the day. Logins are much worst than boot times ( sometimes taking more than 5 minutes to release the desktop even after it is show to the user in a good day).
You guys don't notice that much because (that's a guess) because Core i3 computer with 4Gb of ram and HDD (in the majority of the machines) are not that common outside Brazil (where I live). But, even with some Core i5 and i7 the situation is not good.
We are doing some testing disabling more Windows 10 annoying service and scheduled tasks, which helped (using Download Destroy Windows 10 Spying recommended by Barnacules Nerdgasm helped very much). Doing tests two things came to our attention:
The same machines that we tested with Windows 10 32bit performed so much better than with Windows 10 64bit, Of course we loose some RAM but the performance is like downgrading to Windows 7;
In the IT department, more specifically the support team, we installed Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE) and we are using Windows 10 on virtual machines (VM). Which is impressive since even using Windows 10 64bit inside a VM with less available RAM the performance is better.
How is your experience with this ... work of art of Microsoft?

If @msmafra answer anyone. Thats also me. :|

Avoided it, completly.
Workplace switched over to Linux in a single month after out IT found out Win10 was sending information home we could get sued for spreading. Most software we use is available for Linux, the rest is done via VM.
For home use, shocked me disabled updates on Win7, that is it. I am still on Win7 SP1. When Ryzen drops, that will become Linux with windows VM.

1 Like

If I had to take a guess, resource management is far less liberal on 32bit systems, given presumed hardware constraints the OS is challenged to work with. Perhaps Microsoft de-prioritizes background tasks(SearchIndexer, AV, metadata, etc..) in anticipation of low end systems using 32b?

Its sad 32 bit is going down the can. If this were out earlier maybe 32 bit could still be competitive.

It would be marvelous!
But Linux acceptance here is not good and there are some Windows only software that the users use like the ERP.

Could be something like that, but in Windows 10 64bit it drains the machine resources, sometimes completly

Maybe disable superfetch then.
Superfetch is a tool that preloads certain mostly used applications in memory,
so that launching those applications should go faster.
The only issue with that is that it eats allot of system memory.

We also did it.

It would be fabulous!

We also did it.

Did you analyze the GPO objects you are enforcing on those machines/users? I know that GPP printer policies at the user hive can really slow down logins in some situations.

The data Microsoft collects doesn't have any PII or business data and gives no liability to the company so that was a false flag reason to move over. Good for you, though. We were just audited two months ago, federally and state side, and we have plenty of W10 machines and didn't get so much a glance about it.

Additionally, as far as I can find through logging and traffic analysis, our Pro W10 devices don't even send out any information to MS servers.

@msmfra @msmafra Since the computer are slowing down after domain join I'd wager it's GPO side. How many GPO do you have applying? Logon scripts? Have you turned off "Computer Profiles" on GPO's that only apply user settings and vice versa?

Out IT, HR and Legal went crazy over something they found. So it must have been very serious.

Might be state or industry specific. I work in one of the most regulated industries in the US and it's not an issue with us, is all I can say. I'll send the audit team a message and see what they say though.

Hi.
There are none GPP printer policies. When using 64bit Windows 10 even machines inside OUs without ANY GPOs were (are) tremendously slow.

Hello.
Our domain is very recent 6 months and GPOs are simple divided by the three buildings in OUs for each one. Just kept, "globally", mapped drives, shortcut to the mapped drives, WMP share disable, rules for RDP connection (secure connections). Even the rule with the company wallpaper I've disabled. Most of the GPO are inside OUs.
Our Endpoint security solution (Kaspersky) is not even installed on most of the machines to help with performance.

I did a test once with a new server, fake domain and three machines without any GPO the results were the same.

I don't monitor the firewall logs but Windows 10 machines are pretty busy at network.
The greatest problem some machine become unbearable to use. Windows processes running consuming almost 100% of the RAM in the worst cases. We have here some Core 2 Duo machines. In which we did some of the first tests with the 32bit version. Was really like replacing the HDD by SDDs. The majority of our machines are Core i3 with 4Gb of RAM. Putting two identical machines side by side, one with 64bit and other with 32bit, there is really no comparison.

Hi.
I also disable most of the GPO that were ridiculous. Sector managers asking to create shortcuts to folder that were in the network share, that is already mapped with tree shortcuts, for example.
And also one mapped drive for each of the shares that the user have access to. (Why???)
Using DFS namespace and Access Based Enumeration.

You can try different windows 10 disks/distros.

Como estas no brasil é natural que seja extraida mais informação do que o normal visto que
as agencias governamentais norte americanas obrigam a ms a permitir esses tipos de acesso ilegal.

32bit is technically faster because the math is faster, 64bit just allows you to take advantage of more resources. I heard this in one of Gamers Nexus' interview of Star Citizen developers.

Q.) ...Is there anything else that you benefit from by making the conversion [64bit]?

A.) From 64bit, not that I can think of right out of the gate. It's more just support the actual space more than anything, better performance or anything. If anything it's a bit worse, but we're talking marginal difference. Yeah, if anything it's actually a tiny bit slower but with newer CPUs actually we did make a change now that the positioning work so it actually ends up being faster. But normally, if you're just gonna switch over to 64bit positioning it would a little bit slower in your math. So the only benefits we get is just sheer amount of space that it can support for the players.
-source

Anyone who understands core computing concepts knows this is a fundamentally wrong assumption. In simple terms using a '64bit OS' has no direct immediate relation to how fast 'the math' of your application is because that simply depends on what data types you use and how you use them at an application level. You can totally use 64bit data types on a 32bit machine with some impact on performance (2 mem locations) and effects on atomicity.

64bit when talking about Operating systems usually refers to memory management, addressing and to the 64bit extensions added to the x86 instruction set. It's not actually slow, in fact in many cases it is faster because the processor is able to perform operations on bigger pieces of data at a time.

Fun fact we have AMD to thank for 64bit computing we have today. The 64bit extensions Intel design (IA-64) were so bad they were all but entirely abandoned.

2 Likes