Windows 10 1803 deprecated (?) old Windows Defender GUI

Windows 10 1803 deprecated (I couldn’t find a way to open it anymore, even MSASCui.exe no longer opens up the old Windows Defender GUI that has been familiar since Windows 7’s MSE).

Not only is the new GUI worse but there’s at least one practical negative side to the new GUI: I can no longer run a custom scan where I choose to scan multiple drives. The new GUI makes you select folder location to scan, which thankfully allows me to scan a whole drive as long as I choose root C: or D: for example.

HOWEVER, I can no longer scan multiple drives. Or at least I haven’t managed to find a way to do this.

What do?

In what way?

You should provide feedback. Related though, you know that you don’t need to scan your main drives? They are automatically scanned.

WIndows 10’s Settings app GUI in general with its really minimalistic and really flat design makes it worse to read and navigate through. Go check out Settings app’s sound configuration or mouse configuration (they haven’t finished importing those configurations into the Settings app but could you imagine how bad it is going to be to navigate Mouse configuration with the Settings app’s visual layout?) and compare to the old control panel. The legacy stuff is a lot more orderly, easier to navigate through, easier to read.

The only real positive side to Settings app is that it’s generally easier to find (but not configure!) certain settings compared to legacy Control Panel.

I’m not sure I agree which makes me think its probably more just a preference issue than actually bad design?

This I think is a big plus.

I imagine they are going to refine what controls are and aren’t kept, displayed and what are kept behind a button that 99% of people just never use (when was the last time you ever actually touched the mouse settings? I think they may be going more towards the mouse and keyboard centre for example for people who make any advanced changes to their stuff.)

The fact that you can get all your security stuff in one place and know if all is all good or not good with one glance i have the feeling trumps putting controls that no one uses front and centre. People might not agree, but its good design.