Winamp is coming back!

Have you checked out Clementine?

Good to see winamp comming back, i still use it.
Msn comming back would be awesome, but unfortunatlly not likely to ever going to happen.
But i agree msn is just wayyy beter for im then skype is ever going to be.

I liked winamp allot.

1 Like

Linux has QMMP and Audacious with Winamp skins

Thanks.
I has a quick glance at their page, but I saw no mention. Many of these players are not network aware and/or handle network shares poorly.

Interesting, though after Winamp died I switched to MusicBee on Windows which is vastly superior. Linux players are a different issue entirely.

I canā€™t help but be a little pessimisticā€¦ maybe itā€™ll look like Winamp, but I guarantee itā€™ll have more invasive monetization than nullsoft ever did. Or itā€™ll be ad supported. Or itā€™ll harvest all your digital organs and sell them on the black marā€” web.

But then again, the leaked build of 5.8 didnā€™t require Pro for all features (i.e. freeware), so maybe thereā€™s hope : )

Yeah, a while back. Didnā€™t float my boat but I honestly canā€™t remember why I didnā€™t like it at this point.

Lately, iā€™ve been streaming a few radio stations on QMMP. Granted, I just use a PLS file, and they stream via some service, but I LOVE the fact that it works just like Winamp. Wish I could get an older version of Winamp going in Linux. LIke 3.55. That was my jam. I used to run a pirate radio station with it and it was glorious.

I hope this version will still let us use old playlist files from 3.55. I can still use them with Qmmp.

If this works on Linux, Iā€™m DONE with all other music players. Winamp was the defacto for many years for me. Iā€™ll gladly support the Llama ass whipping!

pfft, how about macOS?

I think you guys are missing the pointā€¦ The old winamp is dead.

This is more about a mobile version ( just a media player ) with some extremely high hopes in being cross platform.

I think youā€™re minimizing the issue.

Yes, the old winamp is dead. But these guys obviously see the value in it, and bought it from AOL in a chance to save it. And itā€™s already been confirmed elsewhere that itā€™s not just a mobile version. Although, making it mobile, does mean more chance that they can make it cross platform.

Coding it for IOS makes it easier to code for Mac, which if it does come out for IOS then that is alot easier to do. Coding it for Android, may make it much easier to code it for Linux. I donā€™t see a plus for coding it for Windows, other than nostalgia factor. Which the people who are bringing this back obviously have since they bought a dead project in the first place.

HOW is it possible to be DEAD when Iā€™m still using it? Great little app along with VLC. DIVX was always tripping over but thats all. Anyone mentions apple-idiot-tunes I will track down and burn their iii out with a pogo stick. Best version was their sheep lightning UFO visualization screen. Now that is a classic.
Me Thinksā€¦ how does it know its being monitored its being used ANYway??? , No one knew I was still using it ā€¦ oh no ā€¦ just realized I now have to terminate all that have read this, there goes the next few spear days ! nah? ā€¦ youā€™ll get it

Dead as in itā€™s barely being used, and is no longer being developed in the same way. Itā€™s been years since Winamp was even in the music playing business. Thereā€™s gonna be leaps and bounds in technology since then.

Winamp is gonna have to change, and I for one welcome the change. As long as itā€™s still got all itā€™s llama whipping attitude behind it.

imagine those acid drop visualizations on modern gpu.

1 Like

I can and moreā€¦ :)~