Win10 system restart on wake up

Event viewer errors actually come from a surprising amount of places. I've seen errors that are caused because you're running a SQL database, and it's trying to call another machine, or another machine is trying to call it and there are network connectivity issues. But I do understand what you're trying to say.

Yup, I've learned that most of the crap that shows up in event viewer is not worth paying attention to; otherwise you'd be worrying about your PC 24/7. I've actually had an unusually stable time here on Win10. I can't echo the horror stories other people have. But the occasional thing does pop up, like the issue I describe here.

I haven't put my comp to sleep yet as I'm using it a lot right now. But something interesting has come to mind with these DCOM errors... At first I thought it might be Skyrim because it seems they keep happening during the same time I play it. Turns out that was only coincidence. See, I like playing Skyrim late in the evening because I use realistic lighting mods and, well, it's very dark when there's no digital sun in the sky and my window blinds aren't that thick. But right now I'm busy writing the script for another YouTube video and I just checked the event viewer.

I think all those DCOM errors are the telemetry failing to get back to Micro$oft. See, the way I've blocked all that crap isn't by turning it off - it's too buried into the system. Instead I run a hack that simply redirects the traffic away from Micro$oft's servers to "0.0.0.0" which of course doesn't exist. I think all those errors are the system recognizing that it's failing at its spying job. lulz!

SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE

That's what the BSOD gave me. I haven't looked into it yet becuase I've got to go grab dinner before my campus' cafeteria closes and come back to get on a paper due at midnight :D

But if anybody is familiar with this error, I'll talk with you sometime tonight.

PTE is Page Table Entries, sort of a giant jotting pad of a data table used by the system, it is being referenced/used incorrectly by something, most likely a badly written or damaged driver but potentially could also be RAM or some software.

Run a system file checker from an elevated command prompt just to make certain windows files are intact/uncorrupted (can take hours to complete though, depending):

sfc /scannow

It would also be worth starting a new page file, this can be done by disabling virtual memory, rebooting, then enabling it again in the following manner: http://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

Don't forget to check drivers, best bet would be to perform a clean boot, then use the computer for a little while, then sleep/hibernate it for a while, then resume to see if the error reoccurs.

I've been looking into some of the stuff mentioned so far.

Ironically, the problem hasn't happened since the last post. I have a history of having a problem creep up, making a forum post, and the problem magically disappearing, almost as if it saw that I was coming after its ass and it ran away.

Check out Bluescreenview
You just run the utility and it will give you a list of drivers/windows files with whatever caused the last bluescreen highlighted at the top of the list.
Google the filename if you dont know what it is, and it should tell you what is causing the problem. (if everything goes smoothly)

1 Like

such is the way of windows :)

Yes get bluescreenview.

And its good to see I'm not the only one getting weird issues with windows 10. When I first upgraded, I got that bizzare hibernate/sleep problem. I think what may have fixed it was a combination of reinstalling the os along with installing the latest graphics drivers. I also was getting pretty severe BSODS at one point. Unfortunately, most of them were ntsokrnl errors, which is quite vague. Eventually I figured out my ram timings were messed up, so I fixed those. Problems went away for a month, then returned when two BSODS came that said my display drivers and network drivers causing problems. Updated those to the latest versions of those drivers, haven't had a problem since, except for the fact that today I logged on and there was no background for some reason. It showed up when right clicked and hit personalize for some reason.

So I guess my advice woud be:

1.Get blue screen view
2.Hopefully blue screen view will reveal which drivers cause the problem(the more specific it is the better)
3.Update said drivers

I've got a few free hours so I'm taking the time to start doing what everybody has said so far. I was just rendering a relatively demanding video in Premiere Pro just now while doing some stuff online (forums/YouTube/etc) and got a nasty KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, so there's another thing I'm looking into. I have a feeling it was just from overloading my CPU, which is why I typically avoid doing anything while rendering a video. This is something I ran into when stability testing my overclocks the first time around. The CPU would throw an error and lock the whole system up. Woops!

Anyway, like I said earlier this seems to be typical Windows temperament problems. I have a long history of having computers be just fine for months, BSODs will come out of no-where, and when I start hunting for the solution... the problem just stops and things are fine for a few more months.

This is the readout from the "sfc /scannow":
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Opening that file gave me eye cancer. I haven't a clue what to do with that wall of text or how to get anything out of it.

something to look at ?

I'll look into it later today, I think. If I'm actually going to debugg this kind of thing, it's going to take some time. I have a class in 3 hours and Premiere Pro is throwing a complete fit every time I try to render this stupid video. I want it uploaded to YouTube by the time I leave, so I need to figure this out first. THanks for your time; I appreciate everyone coming back to this thread.

If your not storing your data on the same drive as the OS just nuke and rebuild as needed or if it is an easy fix by all means repair.

If needed, that's the plan. My SSD holds only my OS and other utilities, no personal data. This is one reason why. Im going to see is it's just a passing phase like it has been before. But if things really start breaking I'll just nuke it.

This is why I keep wishing game devs would start coding for Linux. No operating system is perfectly stable. But Windows releases have been getting progressively more error prone.

Agreed the latest release is terrible. Each release / update since the first has been progressively getting worse. Making win 8.1 look steller.

The worst part is that I can't identify a good reason why Windows would be so unstable. Sure, things get more complicated every year. That's the price of extending functionality. But I can't help but wonder... Would Windows be rock solid if they would stop shoehorning in so much bullshit like telemetry and other junk code buried so deeply in the system? Well, I should just go ahead and criticize society's move to quantity over quality at that point.

I'm on the last 6 minutes of render time. Wish me luck that it doesn't freeze again like last time.

Well it does run better once you strip most of the bloatware like the store telemetry cortana ect. I haven't really run a build of 10 long enough to have an opinion on long term stability. It is not looking good so far and i fully expect them to push an update that takes alot of pcs down. They are pushing far too buggy updates. No business in their right mind should be using win 10.

I love the Win10 desktop. Well, "love" is a strong word. It's better than most. Not as good as what I did in OpenSUSE though. And initially it felt like Win10 was pretty stable. But now that I've been using it for... 6 months? The instability is starting to show it's ugly face.

I havent ran a build of ten very long because i try and strip as much of the unwanted stuff out that i can. So i break a build every few weeks. :) pretty easy

GOOD LUCK! Albeit belated. I really hope you were able to deliver your required work.

Sounds like a possible RAM issue, where you use RAM until you reach the part that has unstable transistors, then some bits come back wrong & translate into something akin to divide 9 by ™ then computer does a trollface. This can also happen due to issues with so-called "virtual memory" which is a cool way of saying "using the hard disk like super slow poor man's RAM". Same dealy, got heaps+ data to work with so keep on read/writing to disk until some bits come back as set %windir% = chickensandwhich at which point your OS pulls the pin before things start getting weird.

So I would definitely check your event viewer for errors & warnings filtered to source "disk" & I would also create a MemTest86+ disk (or make a Hirens Boot CD for multiple utilities/uses) to boot your computer on and run RAM tests. Event logs are quick to check but can result in hours of follow-up research online, whereas MemTest takes a short while for basic tests or hours for long tests but the outcome is known immediately upon completion: Pass|Fail. At least MemTest can be started in full-test-mode at bedtime & left to run unattended.

Both worth doing to eliminate possible root causes of issue.

1 Like

Dare I suggest you run at stock frequencies for the sake of troubleshooting?