Win10, nuff said

Yes, the actual term for this sort of thing is a dark pattern. They’re commonly used to scam people.

Its like installing a program where the UX is carefully designed so there’s a giant button labeled “continue” that forces you to subscribe for $14.99/month while the free option you actually wanted is in tiny font at the bottom of the website.

https://darkpatterns.org/

2 Likes

I’m aware of dark patterns, they use the same strategies all throughout their OS (when trying to change default browser for example). One of the many reasons that I stopped using their software.

Indeed. It’s super scummy.

I think the narrative here is a bit disingenuous.

It’s really easy to read, if you stop screaming, spitting, sputtering, and cursing for two seconds

2 Likes

It isn’t disingenuous at all. That is a perfect example of a dark pattern. It’s not clear at all that you need to click the tiny “Offline account” text at the bottom of that screen. The only obvious path forward is to type in your email and click Next.

How? The font and color is the same as “create account”.

If the user is that inexperienced that they’re going to just click “Next” until their grandson comes over to help them, then they’re not going to be privacy conscious enough to look for alternatives.

Windows 8.1 was more hidden than the Windows 10 option. Someone not wanting to set up a Microsoft account will look at their options and ask “What’s this offline account?”

If I stare at the middle of the screen those three options show up in my peripherals.

You’re also forgetting that most people love having all their devices synced. For 98% of the population a Microsoft Account isn’t a big deal. It’s also not hard to select an alternative. It’s on the same screen in clear, readable font.

You guys are acting like this is some “fine print” on a legal document or telemarketing scam.

For comparison, Windows 8.1

Windows 10 is gray/white on light blue and Windows 8.1 is purple on purple.

2 Likes

There are only 5 clickable elements on that screen. One of them is the thing that OP wants, and it’s clear and legible what the option is.

1 Like

It clearly isn’t, as this is a very common thing for people to complain about. You are a technically sophisticated user, so you found it no problem. I did too.

It’s important to keep in mind that most people are clueless. That’s how dark patterns work, you can go forward without paying that monthly subscription or whatever, but you need to look for it.

1 Like

HI THERE IM CORTANA AND IM HERE TO HELP

I fired up a VM for this

It makes it seem like a microsoft account is the only way kinda

If you choose setup for an org the screen is basically THE SAME THING (as what you posted), just reworded a little.

Domain join allows you to create an offline account, despite calling it domain join, there is no joining of domains on that screen. Either way it seems that bottom left corner is the key to offline accounts.

I found it to be a little silly they did this and to be honest I didnt find it at first when I went from 7 to 10 and also on 8. I’m also impatient or I would just be using linux anyway.

I think the key takeaway here is they could have made the UI so there was less friction to completing the offline account, its clear they want you to make a microsoft account though.

2 Likes

Yes, because it’s a dark pattern.

2 Likes

I dont know if I would go as far as to call it a dark pattern. Its certainly not setup in the most friendly way to make it easiest for users to choose the offline option. Definitely borderline misdirection.

2 Likes

Dark pattern is essentially synonymous with misdirection, it’s the intent to lead the user down a path they don’t necessarily want to take that’s core to it.

4 Likes

Wow, this thread has ballooned.
I typed in control panel, and the XP Window came up, lolz. Then i ran the image backup, typed something into the windows bar and IE launched and now everything is frozen… double lolz

Agreed, they are channeling cattle.

I did a fresh install on a lenovo P52s, do i restore from back-up or leave the uncrappified fresh install. It’s a wifey box, so no real demands on it other than browser tabs

If it works, you have all the necessary drivers, etc, no reason to install the lenovo image.

hmmm. crap im doing it now… maybe undo…

Where do i get an MSOffice 2019.exe?

where is the exe or image?

Follow the instructions in that link and it will take you there. You do need a license key or Office on your microsoft account to download it, though.