Will the cost of GPU ever return to MSRP level?

MSRP markup differences [AIB vs. in-House], will grow a bit more, thanks to tariff / other added costs. While the demand still holds and people [willingly] buy, at these more absurd pricings… The price dip will remain a slow trudge

1 Like

No tariffs for me I live in Asia

This is certainly true. But ETH is currently by far the most popular cryptocoin to mine with a GPU. When all that hash power scatters to the four winds, it may mean that mining becomes overall less profitable as the mining ‘market’ fragments to dozens of different coins.

Not really. For me for example the nicehash boxes will just auto switch to beam or something else just like they already do based on market rate.

The World is healing.
RTX3080 price went back to last year’s price of $1200 instead of $1860 a month back.

1 Like

Shameless plug for below MSRP hardly used 6900xt

1 Like

Can those prices only be found in those ridiculous New Egg bundles, or can you buy a single GPU for that price?

In Canada it’s bundles only if you want close to MSRP, but then you are also stuck with the extra stuff New Egg shoved in the bundle and all the T&C that come with it.

well the good news is nvidias stopped prioritising china and cards are starting to flow back into Europe.
so prices will start falling soon.
and yeah they should return to msrp pretty quickly for the higher end.
but the low end are still marginally profitable for mining so they will likely still have a markup attached at retail.

that being said september-ish would be my guess.

Single GPU Price here in Hong Kong where I live.

GPU Price Update:

RTX3070 $800
RTX3070 ti $860
RTX3080 price has dropped by another $105 making it $1094.
RTX3080 ti $1550.
RTX3090 $2085

1 Like

Frustrating. Of course, I wouldn’t buy any of those cards ever, but much the same is present red-side.

Buy nvidia. Our lord and savior! Emperor of GPUs

Commands you.

PAY TRIBUTE FINGERS

Jokes aside to answer the question not for at least another year. It’s not the end of the world just find new hobbies is the way I see this change

I will not convert. Back, follower of the betrayer! Back!

Anyway yes, it’ll be some time. No new hobbies.

1 Like

Jamais!

I am creating… the miliantes ecclesiae ex nvidia… Soldiers of the church of nvidia. The jensinites as they are called… will spend money where others will not. Often spending great amounts in order to promote the Nvidia GPU supremacy and take the power of jensen to AMD heathens and carry out the holy mission and defend the holy faith of nvidia even at the risk of martyrdom

(Props if you know exactly what character from what english TV show I am parodying) xD

1 Like

Still hoping prices come down this year though.

it makes laptops more appealing

1 Like

This sneak preview of NVIDIA’s next gen cards looks promising: Testing the Nvidia RTX 4090 - YouTube

While there is some concern about the amount of power these cards may require, as a former VEGA 64 owner I am already emotionally well prepared.

1 Like

Haha. Vega 64 aint got nothing on even this generation. I have two of them, my 6900XT can draw more, and the 3090 can draw a LOT more.

edit:
oops. stupid clicking on links at the bottom of some other related post

1 Like

More seriously if NVIDIA get away with high end 3000 series power draw this time around (and certainly seems they are going to) you can bet both companies will be pushing the limits on power to get more performance.

Short answer - no…

Couple that with rumors of 600-800mm2 overall die sizes (multiple packages) for full-fat Navi3 and likely similar sort of sizes for Nvidia if they’re going to be equally competitive, and we’re looking at GPU prices being at least 1.5x the current market at the ultra high end, i would wager.

There are people willing to pay for the best of the best, and in an environment such as this with manufacturing, component supply and freight difficulties, expect stuff to continue to be expensive.

Never mind the continued covid related stuff…

My gf works in freight scheduling for example - there is a global shortage of shipping containers right now.

Something people don’t think about - if freight slows down (quarantine, limited flights, etc.), or only goes one way, the containers are stuck in transit for longer (on dock, quarantine, on boat instead of plane, whatever).

Which means more of them are required to keep freight flowing. No available container for road freight = stuff gets packed into a “Wagon” (truck with non-removable covered cargo area).

Wagons mean that to deliver stuff, you can’t just pop the container off and the truck does another container delivery. All that shit needs to be manually unpacked/re-packed before the truck can leave. Wagosn are also generally smaller and can carry less to start with. Which slows things down even further. Which pumps up the cost, at every step of the supply chain. And of course there are only a limited number of wagons… freight companies hate using them due to the pack/unpack thing but will do so if there’s no alternative…

There’s so much of this kind of trouble going on behind the scenes (that normal people not involved in the specific industries may not even know about - that’s something i’d never thought about until my gf was complaining about trying to find containers for delivery scheduling), it isn’t just all price gouging.

1 Like