Will chosen cpu work with chosen motherboard with bonus am4 rant included

Hello everyone, long time no see

So, i’m in a bit of a pickle - old, used hardware is almost as expensive as used, newer-ish one where i live, and cheaper prebuilds don’t offer any expandability, so for my first server that i’ll actually use (as well as htpc probably) i decided to go with ryzen 3 3200g, as it cheap, has igpu and it’s pretty power efficient. The issue is - am4 supports so many cpus, that they had to axe support for some of them, and some boards, unfortunately, axed my cpu of choice.

No, choosing anything newer doesn’t make sense for me - my ‘back-up rig’ would have better cpu than my main one, plus money is an issue.

As for my board choices - first choice would be msi x370 gaming plus, but i don’t know whether or not 3200g would work with newest bios;
second using my asrock x570 extreme4 with reeeaaaly old bios (cause i’m lazy dumdum who never updates bios) and replacing it in my rig with x370 taichi;
third - getting some random b350 board and hoping it will work
4th - going intel 8th gen. it would be slightly cheaper, but it has weaker igpu, which may be an issue (plus worse upgrade path - i may get 5700g later, maybe, or maybe get it for my main rig and later put it there, who knows)

as for what i will do with it - mainly nas in vm, movie watching on 4k tv, some additional homelab things, experimenting with vm and pcie passthough, and overall messing with linux without breaking my main rig too often

i kindly welcome any opinions, thanks

I would go with the X570 board but make sure to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Otherwise, for the 3200G a B450 or X570 board is about the only smart choices. It really doesn’t make sense to get an X470 board over X570.

1 Like

I’d look at 4xx series mainboard, over the 3xx series
Better memory support and had longer window of bios updates [Re: Zen3 support]
Since it’d be"G" processors used [3200g, planned 5700g], the PCIe is 3.0

1 Like

funny thing is, used x570 boards (especially msis) are the same price (or maybe slightly cheaper even) than x470 boards, so i may actually pick up one of those

x370 boards are getting zen3 support, and are 25-30usd (after conversion from local currency) cheaper than x470 variants;
would x570-a pro / gaming plus be a better choice than for example x370 taichi? those boards cost around the same and either would work

I’m gonna reiterate, what I typed earlier. While yes, 3xx series boards are getting Zen3 support, they will NOT have the same memory [ceiling] support. + It’s all a very green endeavor atm, compared to the 4xx series getting its BIOS teething out of the way [if not be solidified further, with the addtl Zen3 cpus released since]

You’ll need to read each mfr + respective x570 variants. Some would’ve had Zen+ support, whereas newer models [or newer version of existing model] would have Zen2 for floor of supported SKUs.
IF you go for a x570 board, it needs to explicitly depict “what BIOS is the board on”
No point in getting a board, that won’t accept your 3200g, because it got scrubbed

ASRock X370 Taichi vs. X570 Taichi

1 Like

first, let me thank you guys, as you are first to bring something to the topic, and not just sent me back to mobo cpu support list

if going with another x570 mobo (or using my x570 extreme4 and replacing it with some b550) is the best route, then i’ll probably do that (as i mentioned, x470 and x570 boards cost almost the same here smh)

To reiterate, my advice is,

2X00G or 3X00G: B450 (Tomahawk MAX is awesome) or X570 (not really worth more than $30 over B450).

4X00G or 5X00G: A520 or B550. I would recommend these across the board but not compatible with 3400G or lower. A520 in particular is a really price worthy lineup for budget builds.

1 Like

Definitely update the BIOS on any board you get. This fixes UBS issues and the tPM stuttering issue.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.