Will AMD Or Nvidia Be King? Thoughts?

I was a Nvidia try hard until I upgraded from a geforce 2 to a ATI 9800xt. I still have the 9800xt that runs good for the spec's it has. I upgraded from it to a xfx 5700gt. I was trying to get back on the a Nvidia band wagon but the card died on me. It started artifacting on me. Then it just died. This new awesome card lasted me for about a year. I spent all my extra money on the nvidia card so I had to go back to my trusty ATI. The only thing I had to very change on the GPU was the fan. It died on my after about 7 years. What did I buy this year? AMD.

I'm sure if you look at Tech Powerup's benchmarks over time, Kelpler GPUs get worse performance wise, especially after Maxwell came out.

NVidia is slimy as hell. They do really shitty stuff and people continue to lap it up. It's so bizarre!

This year alone nVidia have given their customers a smack in the mouth aa number of times, and still there isn't really much happening about it.

AMD isn't perfect, but they seem to at least think it's crass to treat customers like crap.

NVidia's actions as a company are that number over reason why I don't like buying their hardware.

I'm due for an upgrade soon, and 980tis are what make the most sense, but I really don't want to financially support nVidia's actions as a company by buying their products, but I'm still really unsure on the Fury/X. I really don't like the fact that it onlyhas 4GB of RAM.

I really would love for another player to enter the market. I like AMD's products, but I'm not really an AMD fan, they're just lesser of 2 evils so to speak.

There is no Light without Darkness with this said, there will always be Nvidia vs Amd, because should one fall that's it there is no one else that can raise enough to the challenge for what remains.
Even fanboys have to know this at some point, there has to be a challenge because if there none..well I think we would have wouldn`t have breached the 7970 or 670 walls.
You know that you support both of them and you have to for the sake of tech evolution, you might prefer one over the other but still you need more and better and faster ...which won't happen without a competitor.
If you don't know this or you're against this..you're either not a tech fan or know enough about the 2 to understand.

David versus Goliath.

Goliath being Nvidia, and David being AMD.

I have been an Nvidia user for most of my gaming life.

The first gaming PC I had in 2007 was rocking a Nvidia GTS 9500. Then in 2011 I got hardcore into PC gaming, got a GTX 570, followed by a 770.

But I recently got an AMD R9 390, and couldn't be happier, for the price of course.

I just have not appreciated Nvidia's business practices as of late, and no longer wanted to support it.

Not saying Nvidia is worse, I just don't agree with what they do. I do however side with AMD in their efforts for open-source technologies.

However I believe neither should be king, we need them both for competition, or just more players as was discussed prior in the thread.

1 Like

Not arguing you are right. But should it come to that I expect it would take all of 3 months for Intel to step in with dedicated cards. They are all ready the largest PC graphics vendor. Bigger than either AMD or nVidia in terms of units shipped.

I think the best thing a GPU company can do is make kickass drivers for windows/linux/mac etc.. The hardware doesn't need to be miles ahead of the competition.

1 Like

It was faster then the 680 when you over clocked the hell out of it. But as soon as you over clocked the 680 the 7970 fell behind. Also it depended on the game a lot.

I'm not super educated on the matter between AMD and nVidia and Intel. Personally though, I really don't think that AMD is dead in the water yet, really what needs to happen is a splitting of the GPU/CPU portions of AMD and then both divisions need to get there heads in the game. The only real reason why they have fallen behind is because of poor management and foresight into the future. If zen is an I7 killer, (Which I hope it is) then maybe we'll be able to see a resurgence of the red menace. For right now though all we can do is wait and hope that we aren't left with only being stuck with one company for CPU's and GPU's.

Well, AMD has some possible advantages looking forward. If Zen is a flop, obviously none of this matters, but with Valve and Nintendo jumping on the Vulkan bandwagon there's a pretty good ace up the sleeve of AMD if the adoption rate to non DX API's is there. Yes, it's open source and nVidia will also have the access(which for the consumer is great news as it would possibly put a stop to this proprietary crap maybe once and for all), but with the R&D AMD put into helping flesh out Vulkan they'd certainly be a leg up at this moment.

Now we shall see if this new found faith in non-DX APIs for the gaming market takes off(Valve is certainly the biggest boon to this being a realistic possibility since Nintendo really has nothing to do with the market that Vulkan will primarily matter to), but if Zen is even 90% of what it's supposed to be(they are claiming 40% performance at the same clock speeds and TDP gains on Excavator) then they should be sitting pretty barring some other catastrophe.

AMD engineers have said they streamlined the caching per core system and all the smoke up your ass things they are supposed to say, but if they have indeed done so at a competitive price point, the next year in the CPU/GPU markets could get interesting with all the open source adoptions the tech market has been making lately.

Too bad Creative doesn't come back around.
Matrox or gtfo

1 Like