Will a Thunderbolt 3 cable blow up my Switch?

USB PD requires that the cables support 3A. At 3A it can just be a dumb copper cable. If the cable has an e-marker it can tell the charger it can support up to 5A.

2 Likes

Your fear about docks killing switches are limited to docks, there are no known common cases of a charger killing a switch.

A lot of it has to do with how the dock interfaces with the switch in both DATA and POWER.

Regardless of what the video says, if it is only with POWER, then you should have no issues, don’t plug your switch into your PC btw, I’ve tried with my switches and it causes odd communications loops on PCs.

As long as the charger will output the correct voltages, you should be absolutely fine.

The dell charger you linked:

It seems the switch can safely accept 5, 9, & 15 volts at up to 2.6 amps (for the 15v).
The switch shouldn’t pull more power than it needs, so you should be in the clear, otherwise my brother would of fried his switch on his Dell 45w wall brick a long time ago.

1 Like

That’s what it was, thanks!

Yeah, I expect it to malfunction on a USB-C 3.1 Gen2 port but I’m not sure about a Thunderbolt 3 port.