Wifi 6 Router Recommendations

I am looking to upgrade my router. Currently I am using a NETGEAR AC5300 Nighthawk X8 this router has been great. However, I am looking to upgrade to WiFi 6. I have started playing around with a home Unraid server and in-home game streaming + my new tesla needs access when parked out front. 4x Gigabit ports are required.

If I am starting to go a little more Prosumer is it worth going to a Cisco Meraki setup? Other routers I have heard good things about are the AmpliFi Alien & NETGEAR Orbi

Bonus fetures

• pfSense
  • Ability to monitor usage

So you want to use pfsense as the router and then us recommend access points?

Playing with the idea of building a PFSense Router. I am not an expert but looking to make my house as secure as possible. If the same functionally can be had else where I am all ears. Or if there is a good place to learn would love to know

My two cents either build one if cash isn’t a problem or use an old computer. By a cheap tp-link smart switch so if you want to play with Vlans down the road you can. Ubiquiti is my go to for access points. I have been happy with it but you will want to setup a VM/container on unraid for the controller. Three AC lites are serving my house well at this point. The wifi 6 versions are only available to early adopter customers right now.
Wendell did a video on Engenius AP and switch may want to check that out for some more clarity also.

2 Likes

Engenius has pretty good tech, low priced.

If you have deep pockets, check out the Aruba AP-500 series.

2 Likes

I have my eye set on ubiquiti once it’s available in a few days:
official store link As @sanfordvdev mentioned the “early access” versions have been available for a while, and feedback is that they’re good, even when AC devices are connected to it. (note that they only have a single 1Gbps interface – which if it ends up being the bottleneck would make it best throughput over wifi I’ve ever seen).

Avoid Cisco, unless it for an education.

Find a cheap HP 6300 SFF (i5 Sandy/Ivy bridge) and add a dual gigabit Intel NIC.
For a switch, get a Mikrotik SwOS RB250GS off ebay so you can add VLANS to your pfSense box.

For an access point:

• UniFI AP HD
  • Aruba
  • Grandstream
  • Cambium
  • Wait for a WiFi 6 Mikrotik

:delet:

3 Likes