Wife allowing me to have a Gigabyte R262-ZA2 rev. A00

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hello all, yes it is my first post, and I am no expert. Over the last year the family has dealt with me learning as much as possible in order to keep our home network available (as I’m sure many of you had to do).

I apologize for the lack of additional detail for the moment and will try to be brief. The R262-ZA2, as a “beginner” home server, was a decision made thanks to its general purpose abilities more than anything else (I know, I know I’m in for a painful learning curve).

R262-ZA2 rev. A00

My question regarding the unit centers around the SAS card recommendations.

CRA4448 H/W RAID Card

or

CRA3338 RAID Card

I’ve decided on the CRA4448 due to its ability to support more devices in the future and the greater variations of RAID. My initial plan is to join VMUG and load up VMware vSphere for various VM and Windows Server.

BUT if you were in my shoes which SAS controller would you choose and why?

3 Likes

Forget SAS and go NVMe.

2 Likes

Thank you NZSNIPER. Four of the twelve drive bays can, and will be, used with NVME. The SAS controller is necessary for the remaining eight front drive bays.

1 Like

You have actually purchased the server or are you still planning?

1 Like

Sent in the purchase order today for the server and CRA4448 SAS Card.

1 Like

Correction made regarding the SAS controller. Switched to the CRA3338 due to being a software raid controller.

2 Likes

Wow, congrats on the equipment! That’s going to be fun!!!

1 Like

Thank you, once up and actually running I’ll fill in missing details.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.