Why solus?

Aside from the good implementation of the budgie desktop, Are there any real advantages of solus over other distros like debian and arch?

1 Like

It’s a really solid mixture of stability and modern packages.

Packages are generally tested for stability before being approved. Therefore you tend to get more stability out of your OS AND programs.

The head guy for solus was also working at intel and he has implemented some patches to boost the performance of solus on both intel and AMD machines.

However I find that opensuse has a better approach to both of these key points. Sooooooooo yeah.

1 Like

Just Works™ seems to be well implemented on Solus. I’ve never really had a problem with anything except things they don’t support yet.

1 Like

Other than budgie? Yes. Good implementations of other DE’s, snaps are pretty great (though I wish they had flatpak instead but oh well I guess), and the devs actually talk to you when you have a problem.

They’re working on flatpak actually

Thank fuck.

Thanks for responding. I will try it later today.

Flatpak is working, from the CLI.

Solus is aimed to end-user desktop experience, but they optimize from the toolchain up, so everything works faster and you don’t see as many “papercuts” as on other distros like debian or ubuntu. The only (former) downside was lack of software but that’s being addressed both in repo level as well as flatpak support. The only issue I have is with an old laser printer but it works fine via network in “driverless” mode, although I can’t fine tune it as I could with Brother’s proprietary driver blob.

If you play games, I’ve found that both native and wine games run far better on solus than on any debian-based distro. Proprietary nvidia or amd drivers are installed via 1 or 2 packages on the terminal or using DoFlicky, a GUI program for that.

1 Like