Why is openSUSE so damn overlooked compared

That line there says it all.

Right now on my desktop I have Ubuntu Mate installed. On my laptop that I use for outing and hacking I have opensuse installed. My server has arch as do my other laptops (netbook and laptop before my current). I have all of these distros available but NONE of them, to me, are any different that the others. I do the same thing in arch that I do in Suse that I do in debian that I do in manjaro that I do in ubuntu etc. It may be different depending on the person but I see no difference in the OS's. If windows was similar to linux distro's I might like it more.

I'll second that.
It is more about software on the system than the system itself. The main difference is what software that is supported on the system. For example you want to run for example RHEL or SuSe enteprise while running software for Xilinx and Altera, since these systems was in the test for the software and official guides exists.

The different spins / labs for fedora with the scientific, electronic, robotics variations is very quick way to install a useful OS out of the box instead of hunting down software after the install. Same with suse and suse studio.

Personally I run LXDE on all my systems (where X is needed) and have the same same setup for keyboard shortcuts in the lxde-rc file. And come on everybody ends up using their old scripts after a while on linux anyway, because we are lazy. Nearly everybody who has ever been in an electronics lab have written some sort of shitty C program to read the output from the voltage meter to the usb port and gone to take a cup of coffee when measuring mosfets.

Command line utilities end up being less work than if it had to be done in some sort of a GUI (there are certainly some horrible ones around.) and that is why I like running Linux. It is in the end more efficient at certain tasks.