Why is linux still so user unfriendly?

right server distros are by default designed to install and run with no desktop environment primarily because a de is a resource hog and anything that degrades performance is not wanted
early servers did not have a lot of resources to squander on a de, but newer systems and advances in hardware resources make it possible for using a de in a server.
But developers still do not include a de in the server distros because they don’t have a list of all the types of servers and hardware that each person may chose.
generic server setups are used and are up to the individual user to customize.

while its true it was originally built for developers more and more distros are being written for the average user and being designed so they are easy to learn,
sad to say the elitist attitude does develop But it is not just found in linux communities.

want a server distro with a de! Univention Corporate Server powerful, easy to set up and use but you will still need to learn a little cli. for detailed fine tuning.

Thank you all for the responds

And i dont have long toes so i take no offense to ppl mentioning i expect too much etc, i understand!

What surprises me is that if you dive in deep enough you can almost always find the right way to install what you want. What i think is lacking is to put it in a nice wrap that asks the user what the important decisions in settings are and then script the changes needed.

For now i plan to just take the machine offline for a few days and tweak the temps, fans etc on a windows setup then reload the system and VMs

Will dive into the temp sensors on the board later (in latest version LM_sensors finds none)

The thing about Linux is that it’s not some homogeneous entity like Windows. Many Linux distros are actually very user friendly.

Others maybe not so much.

1 Like

Replying to this comment, more because it is actually the most apropos to my own, rather than a direct reply.

But as @MisteryAngel said there are plenty of solutions nowadays to easily install software, tho most (not all) come with the hurdle of dependency manegement. Usually a package manager would deal with that for you, but my point is that because of unix-like systems modular nature, their binaries are not self contained with everything they need built into the package.

This does make the concept of ”easy” installs on Linux a bit harder. Tho plenty of decent to even remarkably good examples exist

1 Like

Because your computer are designed to run non-free software that serves the corporate and not pesky users. So if you seek freedom, you will find trouble.

If you compare user unfriendly with user subjugation, it’s clear which is better.

Well… one could argue that the cattle is happy on the farm, just like one may argue that user subjugation is a warm, fuzzy, familiar feeling to most people xD

”Look around you @tleydxdy what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.”

1 Like

This shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re interested in a solution, I’d be happy to work through it with you. (I’m on a 1950x and I’ve got temps per die)

just to prove it to you

Those two k10temp-pci entries are the individual zen dies. one sensor per die, one temp per die.

You’re going to have to be more specific. What distro, this shouldn’t be happening on any relatively stable distro.

Except my mother uses Linux and has no clue she is. The software center works perfectly fine for her and when she has problems… oh wait, she doesn’t.

Oh, that’s your problem. You should never use unraid. It’s about as stable and user friendly as the average mental ward patient.

1 Like

Because it is a POSIX complant Unix,
That means all the commands have the same name (kinda).
Posix make sure all unix os’s work the same
Since the guys who invented Unix were really bad typists most commands were very short, and badly named compared to their Dos and cm/p counterparts
In the 90’s during the height of the windows-os2 wars, when you barely had an internet and you got slackware from mailing (with a stamp) 5 dollars cause you saw an ad in the back of PC Magazine.
You also had usenet
People were working on a GUI but it was really a command line only OS.

Linix Mint is allot more user friendly then MS-Dos or Win 3.1 was, and has a ton of software avail compared to what Plan 9 had.

Now the average Linux user can live life with with never using the command line.

I find the idea that the idiosyncratic names are due to the creators of unix being bad typists to be entertaining, if somewhat dubious. I mean they may very well have been illiterate for all I know, but I slightly doubt it. May I ask for a source for that claim? Just to get some amusing reading material.

Aaaah… Well… Thats why I am the only person here whom defends OP’s right to use unRaid. I used to work as an orderly, and I guess I miss my old job more than I thought :wink:

old computer magazines?
I am sure it was in my old copy of Linix books

I know it is part of Unix lore, named becase in Bell labs they were using Multics and the felt like Bell labs kept them looked up like Unixs…hence the name

fair enough :stuck_out_tongue: I always imagined most of the names being quite competent mnemonics, and their brevity being a consequence of the early teletypes…
Tho I guess one would only have a problem with longer names if one is a bad typist… so… Point for you.

But… they still created awk… and being a bad typist tryink to use awk is em… AWKward as all heck. or at least… thats what she sed

early naming conventions were due to the file name limitations of the old software.
long filenames came out with win 95 and win 98.
most coders still stick with short name convention as it saves space.
true for todays hardware and memory values they do not need to but old habits are hard to break!

1 Like

Sorry, but I disagree.

Take the following scenario. User hears about, say, Blender, and wants to install it. The three options that user has.

The Linux standard way (Ubuntu flavor)

1. Press windows key.
  2. Type terminal.
  3. Press enter.
  4. Type apt install blender, hit enter twice.

Using Linux GUI

1. Press windows key.
  2. Type blender.
  3. Press the blender icon.
  4. Press the button “install”.

Windows way (best case scenario)

1. Launch your favorite browser.
  2. Type “blender download”
  3. Click on the first link that pops up
  4. Click Download
  5. Run the .exe
  6. Click next until it starts installing
  7. Reboot your computer (just to be safe)

Naturally you can get the tarball or build from source, both options not recommended to newbies unless absolutely required; but the linux way is clearly easier, involves fewer steps and does not assume a non-hostile environment. Even in gui.

A typical end user will not do this.

When was the last time you used Windows?

They will if they get recommended to do so. Here is how you get the latest version, using apt, should you require it:

1. open terminal (ctrl+alt+T also work)
  2. Paste: add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
  3. Paste: apt update
  4. Paste: apt install blender -y

It doesn’t get much easier than this. GUI equivalent would add a dozen clicks and require multiple screenshots.

Installed my latest program in 2014 or so. As a user, last month but then again I did not administer that system.

It’s good that Windows is finally reaching parity with Linux when it comes to installing software, however the UWP store is and will remain the biggest threat to software freedom, along with it’s Apple Store cousin and Android Play.

Lol. Where are you getting this information? No, they won’t.

Now we’re teaching the behavior that it’s okay to just copy and paste commands from the internet.

:ok_hand:

Your example above didn’t have dozens of clicks. What changed? Dependency issues?

Also, in Windows 10 if you search for a program not installed, likely the Windows Store will come up with an installation link. Blow for blow copies your instructions from Ubuntu.

GUI equivalent for adding a PPA, updating database and installing blender:

1. Windows key.
  2. Type “Software and updates”.
  3. Let it update the database.
  4. Click “Settings”.
  5. Click “Other Software.”
  6. Type/paste in URL to PPA.
  7. Click “Add Source”.
  8. Type in password.
  9. Press close.
  10. Press Reload.
  11. Once PPAs are loaded, close the app.
  12. Windows key.
  13. Search for blender.
  14. Press blender icon.
  15. Press install.

OOOOOOOOR…

1. Open terminal.
  2. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
  3. sudo apt update
  4. sudo apt install blender -y

Knowing just an itty bit of terminal doesn’t hurt you, and it sure as heck is easier to explain terminal commands over an email, not to mention the posssibility of remoting with ssh. Phone is a completely different beast though. :slight_smile:

REEEE

That’d be the Super key.

4 Likes

Delusional.

Users want to go to the google play store, see nice and shiny icons and press install.
Hard to get this through the thick skull of many linuxers, but it’s how it is.

3 Likes