Why is linked made fun of in Level1 news?

As a frequent viewer/listener of the Level1 new I’m wondering why LinkedIn is always put into a bad spotlight? I personally never made an account there so my experience with the platform is limited. I always hear my colleagues say that I should make an account too so now I’m wondering what speaks for and against doing so.
Is LinkedIn bad from a UX perspective, ethics/morale, “Facebook” for pros to show their fake experience…?

1 Like

its one of the most hacked and doxxed platforms out there
the irony is its full of security professionals that cant keep there data private. >.<

9 Likes

I signed up 1-2 months ago and honestly not a fan of it, every since I updated my employer to my company what’s one of the “FAAMG“companies and it’s just a huge shitshow I keep trying to get poached from other tech companies and what not, tempted to just delete my account and it’s no stop bots and messages.

2 Likes

Piss poor platform that is filled with a lot of hustlers and the fact it get breached on a regular.

2 Likes

I’ve tried deleting my data there… No such luck…

Take a look how horrible it is. Its right beside facebook with the E rating.

1 Like

Are you in the European Union? I’ve managed to do so via GDPR Request via E-Mail.

That was pre-GDPR days. Maybe you could be forgotten if you were in the EU these days.

1 Like

In my opinion any social media platform now a days is equally bad.

It’s a social media platform, owned by Microsoft, so it has to be treated as such from a data digging/ownership point of view.
As of its usefulness, it depends what you’re expecting from it … if you believe the fairy tales in the ads that sells you a magical place where you enroll and get an offer for a million dollar job the next day then please PM me, I might have a bridge to sell you.
In reality, it is the usual, targeted (or attempts thereof) ads, people selling you everything and the kitchen sink, guerrilla recruiters letting their filters loose, oh and plenty of people paying for a ‘social media magical ticket to selling’ online course and then trying to monetize …
If you can get past that, and you actually have the patience to build a network, it may have its uses.
For me, I use it as the central place to keep in touch with most of the people I have met during my 20+ yeasr of international IT career, and it works.
It is not a substitute for going out in the real world and meeting real people, it’s more the other way around … once you have met someone, but the someone lives in another continent, it’s a nice tool to keep you in touch, eventually.
The highest paying job offer I ever received was from a job from a recruiter who contacted me on linkedin … but I was never ‘good enough’ to get hired by the big five …
It does require some time to ‘weed out’ the noise, and like facebook or instagram, you need to be wary of the ‘too good to be true’ offers/proposals contact requests you get, but again, if you are not used to that by being on social media platforms then we’re not talking the same language …

1 Like

I’m interested to hear everyone’s perspective on this. All my colleagues and industry friends and associates rave about linkedIn.

I’m far more tinfoil and avoid all social media where I can. However, I’m concerned it’s going to be difficult if I ever want to branch out and start my own contracting company without it. Especially given the current pandemic has reduced me to a hermit so I’m not attending industry related social stuff.

1 Like

While this is true of a lot of social media websites:

Want a convincing tailor made identy to steal and look legit passing it off as you? Come see our thousands of professionally posted biographies. Identity theft has never been easier.

Thats how I see LinkedIn, it is worse than the casual personal life stuff as it lays out bare your entire employment history and with the information in the back end it may as well be an ID Theft kit site.

2 Likes

And for spear phishers

2 Likes

Just another of the infinitely growing pile of reason to never sign up.

1 Like

this is like saying that you’re never going to a strip bar because the ‘entertainers’ are faking their enjoying you putting up dollars up their pants …

it’s a social media platform … you need to navigate it as such … if it’s not worth your time, or you can’t see a return in using it then, by all means, do not use it

Just try not to generalize it too much …

oh boy

with one week of experience you’d know why

it’s like instagram for corporate people, lies all around and infinite bullshit

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see when people will be creating fake persona’s in order to lock into a new job opportunity

1 Like

Oh you mistake me. I was meaning in the way that is is infinite numbers of bots selling to you, phishing accounts, a supposedly professional website for seeking professional jobs filled with endless fake offers, scams, poor security and disengenous work offers.

I am well aware of the fake ness of the entire world. This is just not a good thing for anyone on the platform, smart enough to see it or not.

3 Likes

Thanks for info!

1 Like

This 100%.

edit:
i never signed up and actually complained to HR when work tried to get everybody’s email address set up there somehow.

3 Likes