Why i'm back to Windows 10 from Linux

Please don’t, the fact we all are here means we aren’t the “norm”. Caring enough for an OS or Software to go onto a Forum and write about it makes us special. 99% of people just don’t think about their OS at all. I didn’t mean this in a negative sense. Just in a “not like 99.99% of the population” sense.

I think this shows your mistake. You tried Linux and kept jumping around, you could jump around in Windows, Windows isnt limited for choice just to the browser.

In the real Linux world no one does this. They use gnome-terminal, maybe an extra if its something they’ve used a long time, and they just get on with work.

This again I think is more a problem of hanging around certain Linux internet places and taking part in the “discussion”. No one does this in the real world. Everyone that actually uses Linux likes electron apps. They might not be the most optimised applications in the world but they work, you wont find a single serious Linux user who’d actually not use an electron app.

This might hit you in the long run. One thing you could have done on a normal workstation OS was run WSL and have the best of both worlds natively.

What you’ve probably found is your already comfortable on Windows so aren’t susceptible to the novelty of jumping around all the time.

I agree with your other points though, theres issues with nvidia on some systems, and similar issues with certain types of specific hardware that make some things a little awkward to get working just ootb, although it does a good job of that in a lot of other areas.

Windows 10 really picked up the game, you almost never have to install a driver any more, it works better, it offers a lot of control an integrated features, and it runs Linux (WSL).

Id definitely look at WSL on Windows, I use it on occasion and use it for work to “Get Things Done™”

(the upper half of my reply is a bit negative, ive seen people with the same thoughts you’ve had before, ive been there done that too. There comes a point in everyones Linux usage where they go wtf am i doing, and just stop distro hopping or switching DE or terminal, or changing anything, and just kind of get on with what they need to do. Outside of minor minor nice to have tweaks (like zsh :heart:) you end up using 90% of your distros defaults at the end of the day.)

1 Like

Oh dude don’t worry about it. I was being supremely sarcastic. I honestly don’t care what OS you run. I’m a very live and let live kinda guy. Unless you screw me out of my cash then we are going to have a problem

BTW where’s that twenty bucks you owe me?

Ooooh fighting words indeed! :smile:

The holy wars have always annoyed me a lot. And for a pretty long time I thought it was just that, an annoyance with no real impact. I was wrong.

1 Like

An example :smiley: But its true. On RHEL workstations i use gnome-terminal, on Windows terminals I use putty onto Linux servers, on newer Windows workstations I use Powershell to connect to Linux servers.

At home i use Tilix but only because of the split window, otherwise i generally use the default for Fedora… gnome-terminal. If i used a KDE system id use konsole.

On my home windows PC I use powershell or WSL to connect to Linux systems or use Linux nativly (WSL).

The application doesn’t matter at all. I use whats there and gets the job done, and I guarantee 90% of people who use Linux for their daily work do the exact same.

Question. If you could seamlessly run windows apps in a windows VM, would you have switched back? E.g. word/exchange/teams shortcut in gnome. Click, launch, bam?

8 Likes

I recon there’s a bit of an unspoken race right now I think. Windows has WSL and Linux has… wine… and similar?

Windows has been catching up with speed though, and doesn’t suffer from the type of driver problems linux does with modern hardware.

the problem being, loads of people use Linux because they’ve taken a stance. They dislike closed software, corporate involvement, government interference, etc. And then someone says “iunno, I just want to push the switch and play video games”, the former cannot understand why the latter wouldn’t want to have their privacy protected, etc etc. That’s where the disconnect is.

I’ve said this before, but I used to be excited about Linux before I came to TS, I thought it was neat as anything that I could have so much choice and it was all free. I’m not so keen on any of it now, because it’s been made into a meme with all the ridiculous things I’ve seen surrounding it. I’m tired of it.

Moreover, I’m finding out how hard it is to engage with discussions surrounding it, because I’ll swear off going into the Linux section for a while, then something will get referenced and I’ll go check it out, and I’ll imagine I have something to add to the discussion. But it never works out that way. It ends up being something I cannot relate to, and I’ll get frustrated because as the tagline suggests, I like logical thinking. I like being reasonable. I like situations where everyone has their own space to do what they want. But when I see people on either side saying their way is clearly better and they put so much effort into asserting that their particular way is something I should be doing, I tend to react negatively.

And suddenly I’m three replies into an off topic tangent, and nothing productive is being said, then other people pile on and the thread gets locked, and it will bother me that I might’ve been the cause of it and it was entirely pointless because I’m never going to agree with that mode of thinking and if I had just simply not engaged, the discussion might’ve continued and the meme status of Linux threads being locked might be turned around.

People SHOULD be able to discuss Linux, but whenever it gets down to the ethics and morals, that’s when the conversation falls apart because those things are as personal as politics and religion, neither of which tend to be healthy topics.

2 Likes

I think he’s talking more about how you can simply have an icon on the desktop where you would double click and it would launch a subsystem vm into the program. I guess more like docker than anything else…

Both windows and Linux have this.

Yeah WSL and wine but not everyone uses this.

Maybe passthrough seemless mode ain’t too far out in the future?

Edit: Or is per-app rendering even possible? Doesn’t the whole Windows graphics stack run at the kernel level in one big blob? Unlike in userland as in *nix?

per app is possible depending on the h/w api.

This is also the reason I still run Windows on my desktop, because it’s just simpler and more failsave. Although, I’m probably at some point gonna get rid of LTSB for some Home License. just so it’s more in the “is supported land”.

So far I’ve had 2 issues since i’ve used LTSB.

• Android Studio emulator needs a special unicorn virtualization layer that you are not able to install on LTSB. It’s called roughly like hyperv, but it’s not hyperv.
  • My music player sometimes when I do certain actions hangs itself. Like when launching certain games. I have no clue why as it usually is when something goes wrong on Windows. They just show you a sad smiley or things just break without giving you a damn clue. Sure enough I could tell the company that makes the player “Hey, guys my completely unsupported out of place Windows 10 LTSB does have problems with your player when I do xyz thing.” Well you know how much they are gonna care about that?

Now, I’m mostly running Fedora and just boot into Windows for basically the only game I still play every now and then (on PC). I also have to use Windows for work, currently. But otherwise I don’t.

About the whole “too much choice thing”. I’m not so sure. Maybe I’ll feel overwhelmed by it too at some point. But being a developer you’re kinda used to it anyways. More often than you might want to believe you’re essentially just taking ‘educated guesses’ on what you’re gonna use. Because you can’t really fully evaluate everything in existence, before you do your thing. Same thing can be appied to many Linux choices. Say distro choice Fedora vs Ubuntu. It’s likely both will be fine. A lot of the reasons I turned to Fedora are probably this forum, then there is blue > pink. And then there come the reasons like being interested into RHEL, thinking everything is gonna work out linux === linux somewhat, running centos already on my NAS, because it was the least amount of effort to get ovirt working and thinking RHEL rhealm knownledge is (probably) more valuable than ubuntu knownledge. Then there is the ‘They make kvm and I wanna use kvm thing.’ So you know it wasn’t really that I wrote scientific papers about it. In the end I don’t know if it was the right choice. But that’s fine with me. It works. It does what I want it to do.

If Linux does not do what you want it to do. That is also fine.

1 Like

I have found teh solution to all Linux complaints

Jk I totally get it. I had to use Adobe stuff for my last two classes and they’re short classes so I don’t have time to screw around trying to make stuff work. So Windows 10 it was. I hadn’t used Windows in several months. I’m glad it’s over now.

It seems there’s a lot of hypersensitivity out there. I don’t get it.

Tech “holy wars” seem like a (belly) laughing matter to me. Both the idealists who are uptight about particular choices, as well as the grumps who seem have something to prove by saying they don’t care anymore. The whole concept of “toxicity” has never made sense to me… maybe I’m missing something.

For those needing therapy, this Carlin clip comes to mind (avoid if sensitive to “crude” language). TL;DR: “blow it out your @$$”

Too much choice/freedom might be a burden; too little is oppression. I know which I prefer.

With freedom comes responsibility. Not everyone wants that, and I get that many “normal” people will prefer less freedom and reduced responsibility. That’s fine. The problem is when their choice affects others’ choice and freedom.

No you don’t. And defaults generally work fine, almost always better than frankentweaks.

On the contrary, I don’t see how a society can be healthy without engaging in those topics. Just expect persistent differences.

2 Likes

some people may find something in constant debates and mental sparring, but many don’t. Most people have lives and jobs to do, as the OP outlined as part of the reason why he switched. I do expect persistent differences, I also have learned to recognise them, and have come to understand that stating my opinion each and every time I can, is not only exhausting but can be very damaging to friendships and general online interaction. So I don’t.

We have banned the creation of political threads because they, while “healthy for a society”, always turned out to be disasters. Because again, ethics and morals are very personal, and trumpeting them loudly at every turn is what people are prone to do.

2 Likes

The problem and the solution are identified. Perfect.

It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other. Both are unhealthy. There’s a time and place for everything.

which is probably not here, tbh.

^

hahaha well one option is to embrace it, or another is to take Carlin’s advice. Productivity isn’t everything. Enjoy. Or not. I swear, some people aren’t happy unless they’re miserable. :smiley:

Besides, I think these psych / behavioral topics may be closer to the root of the Windows vs Linux complaints than DEs and programs.

Try this on for size: what if there were a personality+workflow test to determine which OS someone should use? Those who prioritize an “it just works” mindset would probably be happiest with the OS that provides path of least resistance to their workflow (or playflow). Those who prioritize autonomy and hate being told what to do and how to do it might prefer linux/bsd/etc, even if it requires more effort. If someone of either group is stuck with an OS that doesn’t align with their priorities, they’ll probably be quite frustrated.