Why I bought an Xbox One and a PS4

The much goofier version of this blog post in video form —> https://youtu.be/2R1Wml-VU0Q

Once I became an adult, my interest for computer hardware tanked. When I was younger it was a completely different world compared to the consoles, you could do anything you wanted. Mod skyrim with naked anime girls, download pirated games, and meet strangers on the internet. I drooled over having a gaming PC and dreamed about it every day. I would constantly watch videos on building PC’s, modding games, you name it. I was so obsessed with the idea of building a gaming PC, I would join these survey websites and fill out surveys like a sweatshop worker for hours and hours at time. Then I was eventually able to buy my first stick of RAM with my fake survey cash.

Once it arrived in the mail, my dad came up to me and he was like “what the fuck is this?”. I told him I wanted to build a computer and he was fully against that idea because it was like crack to me. I loved being in front of screens, gaming consoles, computers, I could spend all day with the blinds shut and my eyes glued on them. They didn’t like the idea since I was a fatty, I’d eat lean cuisines all day in my boxers in the living room and fail all of my classes in middle school.

They tried to hide the computers, lock them down, not like in a prison type way. More of like a ‘Matt should probably get better grades’ type of way. But this is what helps you learn, being caught in these situations of locked out computers, low spec hardware and limited resources. They had this 2006 Macbook pro and my little fatty self, youtubed on the TV how to get into it.

I made my own user account through single user mode and would use it when my dad went to work, I also had some crappy android 2.0 phones that I would hide. Everything was a resource to me, if it had a screen and WIFI I’d use it. Especially if they didn’t know about it having that. Including my PSP.

Holy crap, I’m ranting but what I’m getting to is that hardware no longer excites me like it did in the past. When I was younger there were two shots at upgrade game every year, Christmas or your birthday. It was a blast seeing the performance upgrades and showing up your friends with fancy low tier graphics card or CPU haha.

But now, it’s like what does this all mean to me? I’ve had a GTX 1080, ultrawide monitor. Everything to run games amazingly. Now it’s like what else is there? I can save for several months and get better hardware, but is it worth the diminishing value over time? Now it’s like just give me what I need that gets the job done. If it fits into my ecosystem of technology garbage and doesn’t get shoved into the bin in my closet, I couldn’t ask for more.

It’s so easy to accumulate dumb shit. Random peripherals, outdated computer hardware and tablets. It all just gets to be so much of a organization nightmare. I spent 4 hours the other day doing a deep clean of my room and organizing all of the stupid stuff that I’ve bought over the past few years.

That’s why I ended up buying an Xbox One and a PS4, just for the fact that it just works. I don’t mind the controllers, I don’t mind the graphics. Sure the capabilities are hindered compared to the thing under our desk but they do just as they should. Play games, and it shines in one particular area compared to the PC. The player base for games are much less volatile. With the PC there are a handful of multiplayer games that I can spend thousands of hours on, but no one plays them since there are too many games. With the consoles, they have a line up of games and they usually maintain player bases for the life of the consoles. With the PC, you’re stuck to the few games that are culted by competitive koreans if you wanna play for a few years and have a large amount of people to play against.

That’s my only gripe with PC. Other then that, It’s still the master race.

Welcome to the peasants club. I also own a PS4 and no gaming computer. Although I haven’t used the PS4 for a good six months now.

3 Likes

Dude, ebays got the hookup on some recycled dell machines. Save up like 200 bucks and you can get some gaming done, along with some craigslist/facebook marketplace for your monitor and peripherals.

1 Like

It’s not that I can’t afford a gaming PC, I just don’t need one. I used to have one but got rid of it seeing as I was only casually playing rocket league.

1 Like

Makes sense! Yup, I’ve been playing less and less and mostly just use my thin laptop. It makes my life a lot more portable. So I feel ya on that one.

I’m the same, just using a laptop whenever I need a computer for something, most of my stuff gets done on Android.

That’s interesting, do you run around with a phablet or a tablet? I’m just curious on what type of device/tasks you’re doing on Android.

5,5" phone. Use it for daily tasks like emails, paying, banking, stocks. I also use YouTube and the browser tons.
I used to tinker a lot with rooting and stuff like this, but don’t really bother with it much more seeing how good stock Android has become.

I can’t really be bothered tinkering with stuff any longer, same goes for Linux, just have it set up on my laptop with everything working and not touching a damn setting or unnecessary update til it breaks.

1 Like

(sticks 5x in freezer) that’s hilarious haha. But I get ya, stock android is the way to go. Goofing with it is fun and all but finding that perfect combination of ROM and performance/battery is always difficult. So I definitely agree with you, sticking with something and letting it be.

1 Like

I may love PC gaming, but ill always love my childhood consoles, long live the gamecube and Xbox and PS2! only thing that prevents me from getting the consoles is either UI problems in the console itself or the games they come with, or the lootbox features now being rampant in their exclusives.

1 Like

Thanks, now I feel old.

3 Likes

I used to say I didn’t enjoy console game genres, back when they were entirely different than PC games. Now there’s a lot of overlap, but I still strongly prefer using a mouse and keyboard for most titles.

I bought an Xbox because KOTOR was an exclusive and I had to play that. Then I bought a X360 for Jade Empire, another Bioware RPG. The Xbone/PS4 don’t have any exclusives I really care about, so I didn’t buy a console this generation at all.

The PC plays all cross-platform titles, and it plays them the best. I’m really not price-sensitive at all. If Bioware came out with a hardcore CRPG exclusive to a console, I’d buy an Xbone X tomorrow.

2 Likes

i know where your coming from but i cant agree to be one of the sheep anymore.

if console’s were still hardware other than x86 i could accept them a bit better than i currently do. but i see them as a locked down gaming PC for one vendor and i say nuts to that. but they have a place and they do a decent job of allowing you to play games. sadly i have lost almost all drive to play any exclusive title and most of the titles i want to play have horrid DLC and i refuse to do the DLC thing anymore. make a game sell it and keep it up to date for free making more players want to play the game thus increasing sales as game ages.

1 Like