Why Fedora Wendell? (not a flame starter)

I am curious about the gaming performance in Fedora. Is it hard to run games on Fedora compared to other distros? I dont seem to see a lot of Fedora reports on protondb.com compared to more popular distros.

Is gaming not in their immediate attention?

as a steam user on fedora 33 with a vega 56, I can tell you that it is working fine. :slight_smile:

It’s generally just a matter of personal preference.
Everybody is using a distro they feel the most comfortable with.
Some distro’s are better or more convenient out of the box,
for a certain use case scenario.
But in the end they are pretty much all GNU Linux under the hood.

1 Like

tbh I only use ubuntu because it was the first linux distro I had heard of

Negativo17’s fedora repo makes gaming on Fedora with nvidia a breeze. I personally love the kernel updates every other day, low power usage, consistent performance and UI.

Only problem is Lutris needs to be launched in the terminal to properly work for some reason. I’ve read it’s Lutris’s fedora implementation.

2 Likes

From personal experience it depends upon someones’ workflow/work requirements. If you ever used Red Hat/CentOS in a work environment there are great reasons to use the bleeding edge Fedora on a home/test box as it provides a taste of what may get added to RHEL at some point. There are major upsides of Fedora, for example since its fairly upstream you can test if a certain issue that impacted other distros isn’t occurring on Fedora–had to use it when Skylake IGP output to HDMI didn’t work on Debian based distros at the time period.

Fedora on ARM is fairly solid in comparison to how fragmented Debian based distros are in terms of what is supported, unsupported or “you’re on your own”. Somehow I was able to migrate an old ARMv6 app to run on Fedora, however on Armbian & Ubuntu it was figure out what dependency needed to be manually built/rebuilt then hope something else wasn’t broken.

1 Like

Wendell recently talked about his (then) current setup in: LINUX Unplugged 388: Waxing On With Wendell at 00:25:52

(He was asked “if he still is a fedora guy” etc. At the time, he was on Ubuntu 20.10 )

Personally, I have started with Linux Mint 4 years ago on my laptop. It worked well with no particular issues, with the exception of battery life maybe. At the end of last year I built a desktop PC and wanted to try something else. I tried some of the Debian / Ubuntu derivatives. I realized that I like KDE a lot so I installed Fedora KDE. For me it is stable, yet has pretty recent packages and kernels, well supported and does not get in the way.

2 Likes