Why does eveyone hate sending in reports?

actually dispaying what data will go over the wire would alleviate this concern.

1 Like

Sometimes they do.

The tinfoils won’t trust that though.

yup. for the ones that do, i send reports. for those who don’t, depends if i trust them.

I submit the automatic crash reports, but seldom take the time to create bug reports.
I’ve only been using Linux daily for three years, and still presume a lot of the issues I have are down to me doing something wrong, or failing to do things correctly.
DuckDuckGo usually helps me out of whatever pickle I seem to have worked my way into

There is nothing tinfoil-ish about it. If you ask me “Are you ok with it?” and won’t tell me what exactly I am supposed to be ok with, then I will say no. That is just the reasonable answer in that situation.

5 Likes

Yeah, I find this to usually be the case. The last crash report I sent on Fedora, can’t remember if it was Gnome or KDE, I got to watch each command run and review it before I hit send.

Something tells me the lot complaining about this have never tried. They maybe read crash reports steal data on Reddit or slashdot and never thought twice about it.

In my opinion, you should feel obligated to send reports (by whatever means) when they come up to help the project/distro your emotionally invested in.

Those of you fearful of sending bug reports, have you asked the project owners what the data collected is? If not, why not?

1 Like

Because you really shouldn’t have to. Especially on an open source project.

3 Likes

I don’t care if the data being sent is as innocuous as the first octet of my IP address and collecting it would save a bus full of adorable toddlers from slowly burning to death in unimaginable agony, their tiny lives snuffed out far too soon. I still wouldn’t send it.

Genuine question of why not?
Honestly, curious about it.

Is it because certain information could be used to clone your identity, causing real life trouble.
Or because data may be sold to advertisers for profit at the cost of you eternal inconvenience.
Or because you have proprietary business info that could lose you money if copied?
Or because a dump of everything in RAM may include logins/passwords/ names addresses /bank details they might use against you.
Or the creepy feeling of over-reaching devs spying on your private use of your personal system?

Would you feel differently about anonymised data where personal identifying information was stripped out and the reoprt encrypted before sending, compared to an unshown report where one cannot tell what may be hoovered up?

Was that question for me or asking the community in general? I feel like I made it clear that I didn’t want to share even the most innocuous information under any circumstances.

“Anonymized” data isn’t, really. Many studies have shown that alongside additional datapoints purchasable at any databroker it can be trivially correlated to your true identity. The only real way to anonymize data is differential privacy, which does so by algorithmically adding noise to the data. Only Apple is doing that right now, but their implementation is closed so we can’t evaluate whether it’s effective.

Thanks, and I asked you because you seemed particularly passionate about it, but I guess I’m generally curious.

So the concern is that once data has been sent, it could then be sold /given away without ones consent, nor knowledge

Help enligthen me.

You shouldn’t have to send crash reports on open source software? The alternative is them grabbing data without telling you.

How is a project with little to no funding (most of the time) supposed to know how every environment ever works?

We get it, you’re entitled and “anonymous”. You’re so 1337.

You guys are missing the whole point of open source, GNU/Linux, and community. Very selfish in my opinion. Not everyone is out to get you. If you’re so concerned, then review the software, engage in the community. That’s the whole idea, the foundations this movement is built on.

Killing culture and spreading nonsense (because none of you have proof) does nothing to progress the movement. Instead, it’s probably causing it to stagnate.

2 Likes

I must admit, I stopped using Win10 daily when I heard unsubstantiated Toulouse that the telemetry included keystrokes and file names…
Redmond doesn’t need to know which flavour of midget dinky prom I rock my socks off to, nor do they need to know my passwords.

Win10 relegated itself to a dedicated SteamOS in my eyes, but I’m glad, as it pushed me to Linux, and I can be a biased Neckbeard now.
Or pretend.
Without the facial hair.

1 Like

No. You shouldn’t have to ask what is being sent.

2 Likes

Have you provided that feedback? When was the last time you sent a crash or bug report? Were you not given the option to review the data?

Genuinely curious, on the distros I use it’s very friendly, and you can check/uncheck certain options to withdraw information.

No, I can’t tell you what it was. I didn’t like it so I didn’t send it. And that was that.
I’m not keeping records of stuff like that. Sorry.

Unnecessary. I’m not trying to give you a hard time, I’m genuinely curious.

No worries.

You sure about that? :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure about Ubuntu propper, but I’m sure the last crash report on Ubuntu Mate let me see the details of what would be sent, and iirc, only gave a send/don’t send option.
I just checked what would be sent and clicked send.
Will check next time to see if I could amend what would be sent

Lel. Persistent passion often comes across as blatant aggression. My apologies :grin:

<3

2 Likes