Why Do Techtubers Recommend WD hard drives?

Saving what i can for Zen upgrade. There have been "rumors" for quadcore non SMT chip, that will be perfect to replace my Athlon 760K... Still have 140GB free on my 500GB WD Black...
I think if i order HGST from Germany, the price will be pretty much like buying 2TB WD Black locally, but the WD will have warranty and whatever...
I rather stick with local market.

1 Like

Kind of in a similar boat as I'm potentially saving for Vega but can't pass up a 2TB for £50. Especially since both my 1TB WD Blue/Red cost me around £40 each. Vega is farther out than Zen and I already have some money saved so it should be fine.

Also 72.1GB left on my Red (Linux Storage) and around 220GB left on my Blue (Mostly games on Windows). I'll likely use the 2TB as my Linux Storage drive but not sure what I'll do with my Red after that.

1 Like

I think it is because WD was really good for so long. I was kinda shocked to see that they had essentially reversed position with hitachi.

i have seen manny drives from several brands die.
To me its not like one brand is more reliable then others wenn it comes to storage devices.
Its just a matter of luck.

isnt toshiba hgst and hitachi the same thing?

Toshiba is Toshiba, they are their own thing, Hitachi is HGST, and it is owned by Western Digital corporation.

1 Like

As @psycho_666 pointed out, HGST is a subsidiary of Western Digital but still competes for market share and offer completely different product lines, WD and HGST drives are not the same with differing names.

Also in China WD integrated HGST into the Western Digital Corporation in October 2015 and is now a brand of Western Digital (At least in China) but they still had to offer both product lines and maintain separate sales team for two year, this should end in October so HGST drives in China may actually be WD drives with the HGST brand.

1 Like

Another easy way of explaining this is General Motors. It owns like 10 different car brands, that are all part of General Motors. However they are all different brands and actually compete with each other.
Just like Asrock was part of Asus back in the day. Recently I may even go as far as stating Asrock offer way better value for money than Asus, and this is why I love Asrock.

1 Like

So far in the United States it seems to be Patent sharing between WD and HGST is the main thing and that the drives at least as of a few months ago were still being made in separate factories.

1 Like

Yes. Although WD divested the means for them to manufacture drives in the first place soon after their acquisition of HGST (formerly Hitachi). So they do operate as their own thing and compete with WD, but it was WD who enabled them to do so. Probably did this to avoid anti-competition laws in places that have them.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I think Toshiba 3.5 " drives in europe are Hitachi design, I think WD was forced by competition laws to sell its Hitachi Europe part to Toshiba, I have a couple and they look like Hitachi designs case wise.

When Hitachi was bought it ended up being split between WD and Toshiba. WD acquired the 2.5", SSD, and originally the 3.5" assets, but because of antitrust issues WD ended up having to sell the 3.5" assets from Hitachi to Toshiba.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5635/western-digital-to-sell-hitachis-35-hard-drive-business-to-toshiba-complete-hitachi-buyout

Well Seagate took a huge hit from that 2014 Backblaze HDD failure report. However, the high Seagate failure rate could have possibly been caused by a number of factors, such as the flooding in Thailand, and Backblaze's rack equipment. If I was Seagate, I would've sued the pants off Backblaze. That's a PR nightmare.

I've only had two drives die within recent memory. One was a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm that actually was a replacement for another Barracuda that already had died. It was new, not a refurb, to my knowledge. That one lasted about a month, and was pretty shitty. The other drive that died was actually about 7 years old and in my mother's laptop. It was a 500GB samsung drive that clicked after all that time of spreadsheets and whatever else my mother did on that old Asus laptop.

I've got a bunch of WD's lying around and haven't had problems with them. I've got 3 1TB Red's in my NAS, a 1TB Blue in my build, and a 1TB Blue was put in my brothers build. I've got some smaller Blue's I use in systems when I'm playing with a new OS or some small project. Never had issues with those either. The Blue in my build is 3+ years old which is probably the oldest I still have running.

The report didn't actually do a whole lot either way for Seagate. They dipped a little for one quarter, then they went back up and exceeded the previous sales immediately after.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10098/market-views-2015-hard-drive-shipments

1 Like

something that I just saw on that I just saw on the interwebs may put WD as the most used HD manufactuer/seller. As a result of Toshibas failure with nuclear power, they are considering selling their semiconductor operation to WD.

I just read this
http://www.bestchinanews.com/Science-Technology/8210.html
Seagate closed Suzhou factory. in China. to adapt to the needs of the market (SSD, eMMC)

Oh boy, was there ever a time where tech antitrust wasn't a joke?

Hard to say.

I have my current rig running off of a Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, with an 850 pro and a WD Black 1tb HDD. (I tried reinstalling to the 850 pro, for some reason Windows 7 didn't want to do it. Not sure why, was too lazy to figure it out at the time so I just use it for modded Fallout 4 and modded Skyrim).

I built an office PC for my mom when she was still alive. It originally ran on the 850 pro and a WD Blue 1tb, similar chipset (H97 instead of Z97), with an I3 4330. Now it is running only on the HDD. It is slow as balls compared to when I ran this rig solely off of the WD Black 1tb, despite having the same RPM rating (7200rpm)

And when I say slow as balls, it struggles to open Word. Sometimes it will flatout lock up. Last time it ran CheckDisk, it found a bunch of problems.

Not sure if this is normal, or I got a shit drive when I ordered it.

If anyone is reading this and wants to buy this drive, please read this first and don't buy it: