Why De-Glass? or buy non glass monitors

This is probably just a personal preference thing. But to me the picture from a plasma TV or a HD cell phone looks much more vivid than that of non glassed monitors, when it comes to color depth.

Other than glare reduction, is there any real improvement to having just the bare panel?

From experience with my:

• lg G3 cell phone 5.5’ (tempered glass)
  • (Don’t have a plasma tv but about 10 years ago everyone did)

V.s.

• LG 4k tv 55’ (non glass)
  • Dell 1080p ips 23’ monitor (non glass)
  • acer 1080p ips 21’ monitor (non glass)
  • AOC 4k ips 23’ monitor (non glass)

None of the non glass monitors look as good when it comes to color depth

is ther a reason for this? or is it just me.

I think you may be a bit confused, the first layer of an LCD display is a polarizing filter, without which you will only see a white screen. An additional layer of plastic or glass may be added to the display for either structural support or screen protection. Most monitors and some laptops do not have anything on top of the polarizing filter. Most likely, right now, you are staring at a naked LCD panel, and it needs all of its elements to function.

So uhhh… buy the thing that looks the best to you?

Here is someone cutting the polarizing filter from a monitor.

1 Like

nono, de-glassing and removing the polarizing filter are different projects

I’m not talking about the layers of the panel but surely you’ve seen a monitor with glass on top of the panel, think about what an imac looks like you can’t tell me that the hunk of glass the panel sits behind is the polarizing filter.

So you want to remove the glass substrate between the filter and nematic liquid crystal?

They make glossy monitors for this exact reason. Glass on its own doesnt immediately mean better colors but a glossy finish does. I prefer matte to gloss simply because of glare. Slightly washed out color doesnt bother me at all.

2 Likes

Soooo is the matte Finnish over the panel still glass?

Because what your getting at is exactly what I’m talking about

I have never owned a monitor that had anything on top of the polarizing filter. But I have seen quite a few laptops with an additonal glass layers on top of the panels. Next, a glossy LCD has a smooth polarizing filter. A matte LCD has a filter that has been sanded so it diffuses the light and doesn’t reflect as much.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/matte-vs-glossy-monitors/

watch this then

No its not glass, and no thats not what I’m talking about. They make non glass monitors and TVs with a gloss finish on the screen. These displays will have slightly better colors (compared to matte) because of that finish. The reason people prefer matte over gloss is because of glare issues that come with having a gloss finish. Whether the polarizing film is glossy or theres a glass substrate makes no difference.

Ok, this is the answer i was looking for.

So from this I’m going to assume there are 3 types of screens then.

1. Bare matte polarizing filter
  2. Bare gloss polarizing filter
  3. Tempered glass on top of a Gloss polarizing filter

Correct?

Yes, but like I have said twice before, a monitor with an additional layer on top of the filter is very very rare. But it is very very easy to spot. If the bezel and the screen are one peice then you can remove it to expose the naked panel.

Yes you are correct, however my whole point in the OP was that I would rather have that extra glass because the colors look deeper (to me) when it is present. and the fact that these types of monitors are Rare is frustrating.

Today I learned

1. There is a difference in color between a gloss panel and matte panel

2. There is no difference in color between Non glass and glass monitor

3. My personal eyes prefer a Tempered glass on top of a Gloss polarizing filter when compared to the Bare matte polarizing filter & Bare gloss polarizing filter that is present on most of modern monitors aside from cell phones.

Thanks for the help Cats

The more you learn…

By the way most curved monitors have tempered glass on top of the panel. They kinda have to, for structural support.

Next, you can polish a matte panel to a glossy one.

Also, are you sure you like the look. I have changed a few panels in laptops for my friends, most of the time having to remove a layer of glass to change the panel. And I really think that the glass makes the panel seem a bit less color vibrant. But the difference is next to unnoticeable.

There isn’t a whole lot online about why glossy monitors have higher contrast and richer colors, but I was able to find this:

Matte – Matte monitors on the other hand, are designed with anti-glare features, making them more tolerant against reflections. They are designed with “polarizing layer” on its surface coarsed through
mechanical and sometimes, chemical process.

The matte finish on its surface works by diffusing ambient light, rather than reflecting it back to the viewer. It reduces ambient reflection, which makes things displayed on its screens are easier to see under a brightly lit room, outdoors, or even when placed under fluorescent light bulbs in an office. The downside however is that, colors and images appear dull and lifeless compared to its glossy counterpart.

This however, to some degree, affects the light coming off the monitor, causing some colors of images to not look as lively and as vivid as they should be, as the desirable effects of glare reduction also causes the same diffusion to the monitor’s display.

So from this, we can infer that de-glassing a monitor gives you the the color reproduction and contrast of a glossy monitor, without the the problem of glare making the screen difficult to see or the muted display of a matte monitor. The process of de-glassing contains inherent risks though.

1 Like