Why can I only get full speed on Linux?

So today I got gigabit internet. I have 1gig down and 30 mbits up (ik ik it’s kinda crap upload but its the best I can get in my area). Anyways I used the ISP router because it was pretty good and had 5Ghz with wireless AC and coudl easily connect all my devices. Well today when I got an upgrade they needed to upgrade my router for the 1gig and after all was said and done I had 1gig. problem is I can only get 1 gig on my desktop PC wired with ethernet. Now I’m aware that wireless will never be able to have the same kind of transfer speeds as wired so I’m not confused about that but what I am confused about is why my PC when wired can only get full speed under Linux? If I boot into Manjaro and run a speed test I get about 800-950 down and 30 up but when I boot into Windows 10 there seems to be a hard cap around 120-130 megabits. I’m not sure why this is as I double checked that the link speed was 1 gig and that jumbo frames was turned on. Idk if this is a driver issue or what but this seems weird that Windows would have about 1/10th the speed.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Why jumbo frames?

Are you really Really sure the download is 100Mb, and not 100MB?
Where are you downloading to? Ram? Or a drive?

What do you mean? I have 1000 megabits down.

Supposedly it makes large transfers go faster.

Bits vs Bytes.
Are you sure the readout isn’t in the wrong format?

It’s correct. My last test on Linux shows 934.91 megabits down and 29.60 megabits up.

And what was the scale used on Windows? Did it report the speed in megabits, or megabytes?

Megabits.

1 Like

Definitely not over the Internet. It’s really only useful for 10GbE NAS/SAN applications. It can cause problems otherwise.

3 Likes

Ok I’ll look into it.

I would have thought jumboframes would only go between the router and the PC, and only if you can set them in the router? Otherwise, it is worse to have them on one side only,

Not saying that’s the cause of your issue, but I’d eliminate it as a variable.

1 Like

So I checked and turned off jumbo frames and it made no difference under Windows.

1 Like

What are you using to test the speed?

Are any other network connections active (wireless?)

Is there any network hardware between your computer and the ISPs router?

Do you know what model NIC you have?

Windows 10 I’m assuming.

I used a bunch of speed tests online. I used the one by okklu or however you spell it as it’s supposed to be one of the most reliable. There’s wireless devices on my network but none of them are fast enough to drop my wired ethernet speed down from 900+ mbits to 120. The fastest is my phone and I’ve only seen it barely top 450. As for other hardware on the network I just have the router and my PC is hooked directly up to the lan ports on the back. It’s a modem and router combo unit. Idk what Nic I have but I know it’s a gigabit realtek one built into my Asus P8Z77-M Pro. And yes Windows 10 but also manjaro Linux.

Make sure your driver is up to date. Make sure you turn off any “green” / power saving features in the NIC settings.

I just updated the driver. I already had the latest and I turned off any power saving feature. Nothing made a difference. Windows just has slowed network speed for me.

I meant is Windows also connected to WiFi?

No. Both are connected via ethernet. The link speed is 1 gigabit and connected directly to the modem/router.