Why are people believing propaganda of electric cars being more environmentally friendly

The US currently uses 368 million gallons of fuel per day (both regular gasoline and diesel). Let's say we switch all gasoline cars to biodiesel for environmental reasons.

Using Soybean, you'd need 5.6 million miles² just for the fields to keep up with that demand. The entire US is around 3.9 million miles²
Using corn we're still talking about 563.000 miles², or around 15% of the total land mass
Even with sugar cane, it's still 263.000 miles², or roughly 7%.
Those are massive numbers, and farming also requires machines that add to the pollution.

source : http://biofuel.org.uk/land-use.html

What we really need is a fundamental shift in the way people live. Move closer to work or find a job closer to where you live, use local stores rather than driving 20 miles to a mall, etc etc. That way you can drastically reduce the need for cars.

I just wanted to make a thread of what I think is the best alternative. But if you do not wanna put in the effort to make bio-diesel then fine. No one is forcing you.

Sounds like another attempt at proving the brown note to me.
People living near coal powerplants suffer from physical diseases due to the emmision of heavy metals and coal dust. But arround windfarms? I will take a little trip to a nearby one (~4km) to take some measurements.

Large scale plants allow for the use of waste heat from the engine/reactor/burner, everyone driving arround their own engine is inefficent as heck.

Offshore windfarms are what you want to put up. Noboy will be bothered by the parks beeing there. And if waters are too deep, there are 2MW floating turbines on the market since 2010.
Sure, you will have to overhaul and rebuild large parts of the powergrid, but having brown outs also sucks, doesn´t it?

Biofuel poses three issues.
For one, you need huge fields. There is simply not enough land on this planet to do it.
Secondly growing large amounts of corn is bad for the soil as the plants depleat the ground fairly quickly. Fertilizers bring another problem: Ground water polution. There are parts in Germany where pumping stations needed to install hugely expensive filters to get nitrate compounds out of the water. Nitrates inhibit the ability of red bloodcells to carry oxygen as the nitrates bond to the iron.
Biggest problem of using plants for fuel is the fact that we still have problems with world hunger. Wasting edible plants to enable us to drive arround all day while others starve to death is simply unethical.

It's not about effort, it's about needing a nonsensical amount of space to grow the crops.
It's also about the move to biodiesel initially increasing pollution to the extent that experts predict it's going to take hundreds of years before it becomes less damaging to the environment than just continuing with petroleum-based fuels.

3 Likes

If everyone wanted to put the effort in no one would be able to use biodiesel as a fuel. The numbers can never add up. Biodiesel is just another useless distraction from fixing the problem and an uplift in diesel cars adds to it.

Biodiesel has no place in road transportation when we have a massively better option in electricity.

Oh great. Now when the birds get chopped up in the blades they can just fall in the water. So no one has to clean them up.

You really should take a look a cattle farming and the amount of effluent that ends up in the sea. Now that's a really big problem and a topic with merit.

Heating up the atmosphere might get every animal (including humans) on this planet extinct. Some birds are a small price compared to that.

I have Nick named this thread osmium. Those who get it hopefully will think it's funny.

That's the thing everyone does not wanna put in the effort. Which is good for me because everyone is usually lazy. And cattle farming is not that bad compared to the pollution in China. Did you know you can run a car off of cow shit?

Is there a Ring in Nürnberg (Nuremberg in English)? That must be fascinating like an indoor cart track, in Franconia there is no real landscape for a real race track (South Germany) lol.
The Nürburgring in the Eifel mountains (Northwest Germany) is the lukewarm GP track built on top of the Südschleife after Nikki Lauda's accident on the Nordschleife in 1975, and those special snowflake F1 drivers wouldn't drive on a real track any more lol. The Nordschleife those posh F1 pilots rejected in 1975, was inaugurated by a woman driving around some ministers in 1928 lol, and the track record of 1983 still stands, and hasn't been improved yet despite an envious Jacky Ickx (another royalty-rubbing posh snowflake) pretty much ran the record holder off the road and killed him.
All this talk about efficiency brings nothing. It's all bullcrap. Modern cars are bullcrap. The entire car industry has oligopolised 30 years ago, and hasn't evolved since then, has only focused on customer extortion and limitation of the essence of the car, freedom.
Rover actually experimented with gas turbine engines in the sixties in racing, the Rover BRM was a complete failure, notwithstanding the best engineers, the best technicians, and infinite funds. The only thing that remains of that car is the British Racing Green colour lol.

I actually took a Tesla out on the Nordschleife when Tesla did a promo day. It shut down and reverted into emergency slow mode before the end of the Döttinger Höhe because the batteries were overheating in the first acceleration, and it did that with most of the drivers that tried it that day. It's a useless piece of crap not worthy of the name "automobile". It's an electric wheelchair with entertainment extensions for an obscene price. They rented Renault Meganes and Toyota GT86's for everybody to not lose face because their stupid electric scheisshäufen wouldn't work on a real road with a real driving style.

Electricity has a very big problem, and that is that it is great in a situation of local production, but it's really hard to store. Battery technology still has at least 30-40 years to go before it is even fit for real use in vehicles. I will not pay for that. The automobile oligarchy expects to rip off my generation of people, who have worked hard to achieve something, by selling them crap for a lot of money, helped by the government they bought for the occasion. It's just not going to happen, they can finance their own R&D, they've stolen enough over the years. Germany is a drivers country. It might be OK for those impotent city slickers to confuse regulated public transportation with automotive freedom, but the population in the countryside will not stand for it. So they forbid old cars in cities, that's OK, we'll stay out of cities and buy somewhere else. Hamburg has already refused to follow the stupid madness of forbidding older cars in the city, because it kills economy for everyone, except for those automotive oligarchs, and Hamburg doesn't have car industry, so they couldn't care less about those oligarchs. If push comes to shove, I'll move to Hamburg if I have to. Thanks to internal combustion automobiles, I can drive to Davos or Milano in less time than it takes me to get there with an airline. With an electric car, I can't even get there lol, so what the fuck is an electric car good for? Do you really think I will go onto public transportation in my evening suit to go to the Opera in Milano after work? No, I will take my car and save myself all the hassle, and if I can't do that, I will make use of the new Opera and Symphony House in Hamburg, where I can drive.

There are so many freedom killing aspects of electromobility that it really isn't funny any more, and people should grab pitchforks and torches and stop that madness. I've worked too hard to let those dopebrain morons rob me of the freedom of being able to access culture and healthy social leasure and entertainment.

4 Likes

Most diesel vehicles aren't suitable for running biodiesel, it's not sustainable as a fuel and the supply could end at any time. Why would I want to spend my free time searching for used vegetable oil and then spend more time and energy producing fuel?

7 Likes

I demand you make this shorter as I have the attention span of Jeremy Clarkson.

1 Like

So you have a car that can run off solids? That's cool.

Methane.

OK.

Wait for boot... Push Menu... Select Insane mode... beep beep beep colour circus beep... pummel accelerator... seeing Tiergarten coming up after 25 seconds... sudden shocking deceleration... beep beep beep beep beep... warning, battery overheating, emergency mode... well, at least I almost made it to 1% of the total track distance... lol

NO!

4 Likes

That's not cow manure. It's only part of it. Which means you need to refine it somehow....

That takes this thing called energy. More inefficiency

2 Likes

You'd also need to compress the crap out of it. I'll get my coat.

1 Like

Wanting @Zoltan to not make a wall of text? That's literally his thing. He does it well too.

3 Likes