Why are laptop CPUs not replaceable?

A socket based system is more durable then a laptop that exclusively uses BGA systems soldered to the board. Poor thermal issues are basically related to bad heatsink retention designs in laptops (and the air vents easily filling up with gunk where all of it can't simply be blown out). I had to fix one such issue recently.

Additionally, we have all those small laptops at the moment and that reminds me of the cell phone situation. We went from big to tiny and then from there to huge 7" smartphones. I believe anything below 6 pounds is very acceptable for a laptop and I would prefer as thechology advances to get that weight and size with much more battery. I would prefer instead of having to carry an additional brick to charge the laptop to have more battery already in it.

Get me one of these hahahahahah!!

every laptop ive ever owned had replaceable cpus

1 Like

We have a customer!!! Anybody else? :)

That assumes companies stock laptops and do no targeted releases. Every model that a company puts out has some kind of consumer type in mind. A Lenovo or Dell doesn't make 100 scews of every machine, they make 2-8(-ish) and no more than what the consumer data and survey's signal to them is necessary. It would likely dramatically increase costs to have to stock a wide range of extra parts, some of which would inevitably not be used at every store location. This is why you can really only do make to order online now, as its less wasteful if you have everything centralized and can manage one location's stock.

Yeah you can charge that premium if your apple, but people aren't going to pay a Dell the ridiculous premiums you'd need to impose to compensate for the inevitable losses you'll take because of the excess part stock you'd have.

If the CPU is not directly soldered to the motherboard, it is technically replaceable and upgradable. If the MB, chipset and BIOS are coded to accept the CPU you're upgrading to then yes you can upgrade. I do laptop CPU upgrades all of them time if they are the same socket. I use CPU's from my stock to help upgrade all of the time. trial and error is the key.

I roll on off lease thinkpads and elitebooks, so I don't know what are you talking about, man. Maybe, gfx? Well even in some cases they have MXM but with weird ass locked firmwares but, yeah, you get the point.

I wont touch something with a soldered CPU, not even with a 10 ft carbon fiber pole