Who's UPS software is best? - APC vs CyberPower vs Tripp Lite

I’m in the market for a shiny new UPS and have it narrowed down to a model from each of the major manufacturers. The price and features are nearly identical on all three, but I’m wondering about the software; I’ve only ever made use of APC’s. Are CyberPower’s or Tripp Lite’s any better? Or are they all pretty much the same?

When I had a Cyber power unit the software was pretty basic. If I recall correctly APC did give a few more options, though my UPS is now connected to my NAS so Im not 100% sure what options the APC software gave. For the most part both companies software did about the same thing.

2 Likes

They all suck. I’ve got an apc at home and it hasn’t killed anything yet.

There is no good ups.

2 Likes

I use eaton UPS devices but also had two APC units. I’m completely unfamiliar with any kind of software for any UPS to be honest. What do you need that for? My macs, NAS and linux PCs all recognize the UPS correctly and show battery levels. I’m assuming the same is true for windows. So … :thinking:

1 Like

I haven’t used any UPS software lately either. But I remember APC used to have Windows software that had options to calibrate the remaining runtime and to run a self-test on the UPS. I don’t recall any way to do those things without their software.

1 Like

It looks like APC’s PowerChute is Windows-only (fine in my case), while CyberPower’s PowerPanel is available for Windows, Mac, and linux. Tripp Lite’s PowerAlert is Windows-only, but they open-sourced some things for full compatibility with NUT (https://networkupstools.org) on linux.

Thinking about it some more, APC batteries (both OEM and aftermarket) are easiest to to source in my part of the world, so I’ll probably go with the APC. It was interesting to see what was out there though; Tripp Lite’s Windows software has a SNMP agent! You have to buy a fancy model and an addon network card to get that from APC, so if that’s a must-have in your situation, Tripp Lite is the cheapest.

My $.02
I have an APC unit for my workstation. Its worked well for me so far (I have shitty power in my area).
The software they include allows it to auto shutdown my pc if I lose power and set up how long it stays on before shutting down. You can also monitor power usage and test the batteries.
I haven’t used any of the others

1 Like

I use CyberPower for my home systems. Usage for me is very basic; just need the unit to stay on a few minutes for proper shutdown. I don’t really use the software except for keeping an eye on the battery life. CyberPower had a rather big update for it’s software a several months ago and I’m not really a fan of the new interface. It’s still browser based, but when I was using it some things did not work properly.

1 Like

IDK about software our CyberPower ones connect to the NAS (Synology) and it runs a UPS server that the other NAS’s and PCs use. Dad won’t buy APC ones anymore cuz so many died early and CyberPower ones have worked good for a long time. Kinda o/t though I guess.

Heh. Whereas I only buy APC brand UPSes because other types have failed me.

Yeah it’s weird how ppl have such different experiences with stuff. IDK why?

All of them work with the universal upc daemon so just find what is more reliant or cheaper if you are using it any professional capacity. GUI software is moot and usually garbo.

1 Like

UPS software is a thing of the past. Just plug in the USB and get on with your life.

It’s literally 20 years since I installed UPS software, and it sucked donkey balls back then (APC PowerChute which ran off Java, total garbage).

2 Likes

I have to agree with others here UPS software sucks .
I own a SMT1500IC from ‘UPC’ (now Schneider Electric, UPC doesn’t exist anymore. )
And its software experience is shit, you need to use a cloud service called smartconnect( its a bare bones web experience). If i want any kind of advanced read out like say power consumption i need to buy a ‘‘legacy’’ ad in card for the ups that is stupidly expensive. Even though the dam thing already measures this and displays it on the little front screen. It just cannot comunicate this to any devices on my network because reasons… yet it can magically communicate at least part of the info it won’t share on the LAN to the smartconnect cloud service.

2 Likes