Who's tried Soylent?

Nooo. That's not what I mean. The products I am referring to are that freeze dried or dehydrated end of the world stuff. Trust me. You'll see that the ingredients and nutrient facts are nearly identical when they shouldn't be...and I say they shouldn't be because that emergency stuff is loaded with salt to preserve it...Soylent writes that stuff off as 'electrolytes'...

I knew someone that ate emergency food for a whole year because they wanted to save a buck..at about the eighth month they started to have health problems and looked paper thin like they hadn't had a decent meal in ages.

I'm seeing 300 mg of sodium per serving of my Soylent, or 1500 mg for a day's worth. That comes to 65% of the recommended daily value.

Where are you getting the excess amount of salt from?

Been meaning to reply since this morning but my phone refused to log into TekSynd. Anyway I've ordered the 1.5 just waiting for it to arrive sometime soon. Will update when ever I first try it.

Potassium is a salt substitute

So...have you tried it? Or are you simply blasting it because it's not an all organic fair trade whole food home cooked meal. I get what you're saying but there is a point to this whole discussion. Otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up, the bigger issue is that me and apparently many people on this thread may find it difficult to eat a wholesome optimal meal each and every single day of our busy week. Whether it's because we may not want to cook, don't know how to cook or simply don't have the time to prep a scrumptious home cooked meal made of real food doesn't mean we can't substitute it for the next available product.

Soylent is simply a choice that is available to us, a choice among many others, that can aid us in consuming something to keep up going without the 2pm slow down, or can serve as a quick replacement meal for someone getting ready to knock out some crunches.

I agree with you, eat real food every day, organic locally sourced healthy food that taste good and is good for us, but this discussion is for the times when that's not an option.

Not necessarily. Potassium can work the kidneys to release sodium when blood pressure gets too high, but statistically speaking, most people on this forum actually only take in half of the daily recommended amount of potassium. With Soylent 2.0, we can hit 100% of our recommended daily potassium intake at the 2,000 calorie mark. No more, no less. So that leaves us with 65% of our daily sodium intake and 100% of our daily potassium intake. Doesn't seem to be in excess to me.

Nope. Won't touch it.

I don't eat reconstituted food. I also don't eat food that has a special label on it that costs 5 times as much as what a product is supposed to cost. But I'm not going to deny that I haven't tried that food (tastes the same as what costs 5 times less by the way if you're curious).

The thread topic asked a simple question. I answered with my point of view. Sorry if it wasn't the main point of view of the audience you wanted (not status quo)...but that's life.

Hey if you have a strict intent to eat that concoction go nuts. My opinion is valid as is your pre-determined stance, even though you came here to ask others of their opinion. To me it's just left over powdered up freeze dried food in my eyes...ingredients say it all.

I never said you "can't" do anything. Clearly you have some sort of gripe or hate with me (and I assume others) that have told you the same or possibly different things about the product and you're fixed in your ways and are tired of hearing controversial opinions...

No offense but you sound like a commercial...

Well I never said "organic locally sourced healthy food". To be honest, everyone can do as they please. Where you're getting this pre-determined hatred that I have toward people that choose to eat the way they want because I choose not to do the same is rather strange, and in fact an odd depiction of me that is just not the case.

Enjoy your soylent and have a nice day and one sided discussion.

Ever hear of a product called "No Salt"? It's a salt substitute for food.

Ever hear of salt substitutes for icy sidewalks? They contain potassium and if not swept away will destroy concrete.

Potassium central diets are not universally healthy. It lowers the heart rate a ridiculous amount.

Do the research and find out what happens if you have a high potassium diet. Don't listen to me. Do the research. The effects are permanent.

Really?

You guys sound like zombies lol...instead of "brainssss" you're saying "Soylenttttt" lol

Soylent is not a potassium central diet. Yeah, if you intake a large amount of potassium it can negatively affect your health, just like anything else. However, Soylent does not contain an unhealthy amount of potassium. It doesn't even contain more potassium than you need. It has exactly the recommended daily amount for an average body. Using our BMI we can roughly determine how much we need for our own bodies.

And yes, really. The recommended intake is 4700 mg of potassium. Less than 25% of males meet this demand and less than 1% of females get the same intake according to the USDA.

No Salt is used to fight the adverse affects of a high-sodium diet. And yes, salt substitutes will destroy sidewalks if used too much, but so does regular salt. In fact, the sodium chloride version of salt will damage a sidewalk more quickly than a potassium chloride salt. However, we're not talking about the negative affects of salt on concrete. We're talking about our diets.

You may not like Soylent in any way. My girlfriend's a big foodie and she's happy being Soylent free. She wants nothing to do with it. And I have no issues with someone being skeptical about a meal replacement. There's very little research on Soylent and it hasn't been nearly long enough to draw a real conclusion on how it affects our bodies long term. It's important that we view our diets critically. I do not appreciate the spreading of misinformation based on unverifiable sources.

You seem like the sort of guy who would come into a "Which Windows PC should I get" thread and immediately say I don't use windows, I use a Mac! That's basically what you did here.

Clearly you have nothing useful to say other than unsubstantiated claims that you have yet to prove negating the point of the conversation. You came into a thread that discusses an alternative to the traditional meal and basically said

"You're all wrong, just eat real food "

knowing that the whole point is to discuss an option other than that.

But if that's your way of doing things then I understand why you feel singled out thinking that I hate you and your opinions or something...that's life. Just while you sit there quoting everything i said keep in mind that you've basically outed yourself in this thread so you might as well not bother. Then again you can do as you please.

Average according to who? In some countries in Africa some people are pretty skinny. There is no average. Only our personal DNA determines what bodystyle we choose, and that is ever changing based on the bacteria we consume.

That's 100% correct. Salt in your diet by the way destroys bone density.

Well everything I said can be put together in the same light as any other product that is water based. Nothing I said can't be verified. It's just a matter of going to Google which you have done. It's reconstituted food in powdered form...

No I didn't actually, and that was pretty immature to say when you made the topic and stated in the Topic title a question which I answered.

What point was that? That you asked "Who's tried soylent?" and I answered your question with an opinion.

By the way, as for "nothing useful", can you define that statement? Because I really wouldn't mind hearing your definition of it because it sounds like what I said wasn't to your liking to make you buy the stuff. Was your finger on the "Purchase Now" button or something...geesh.

Again...another statement that I never said and you putting words in my mouth. Why are you so fixated on doing this?

Actually it wasn't and here is an actual quote from the first post that YOU made...

Does what you say that I quoted sound familiar? Does it sound like "the whole point is to discuss an option other than that. ('real food')". No it sounds like you asked "Who's tried Soylent?".... I said I haven't and why I haven't. "How long have they tried Soylent?"....I knew someone who ate something similar for 8 months. "Their experience with Soylent?"...The person I knew who tried something similar was hospitalized after 8 months. "Are there any issues with Soylent?"...I suspect there will be as no one should eat liquid food.

I will do as I please as you have done to me for no apparent reason when I have given you my opinion that apparently isn't status quo with you...

I'll keep in mind to stay away from your topics in the future as you clearly aren't asking for opinions but are fixated on a pre-determined result that have NOTHING to do with gauging the community here as you have asked, and received from myself and just complained.

I am interested in Soylent and other similar "foods" as the VA wants me to drop my weight from 290 to 180 because of my back. I am 6'5" and have a herniated L5S1 disc.

If I can replace my normal meals with something like Soylent for a few months to reduce my weight safely, I will do it. I have tried slimfast.......waste of money. I nibble on trail mix (no sugar added organic stuff in bulk foods at Kroger). I drink Water and hot tea with maybe a touch of honey for taste. I walk about 5km a day. I still have yet to lose the weight I need to and the VA is threatening to fuse some vertebrae if I don't get it under control.

So, I don't give to flying flips if this is 'reconstituted' food. If this is cost effective and healthy and can make me lose weight in a safe manner......I'm all for it.

Eat something with high fiber like beans. A plate everyday as big as your hand will do the trick and will be cheaper as well.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, what I just said was an opinion. I in no way am saying you "can't" or "shouldn't" eat Soylent. I am merely providing an alternative. I also never said to eat only "organic" hipster food as well. On top of that you should seek a doctor and a dietitian before you take advice from anyone on the internet regarding your health or special dietary needs...that is also an opinion.

I have seen Soylent as well, and was curious about it, but it doesn't seem like a good thing for long term use. I would definitely cycle off while using it as a meal substitute.