Who uses Radeon Adrenalin Software?

So I watched this video:

Damn…
OK, I have downloaded the software, I will make some benchmarks and switch to the Adrenalin Software. Currently I am using Crimson Relive software, and there are quite a few features, that doesn’t work properly on my 270X(7870)… But it seems they have done some work about backwards compatibility. But I will test that and we shall see…
So, does anyone use this? What issues (if any) have you encountered?

works great for me I’ve not noticed anything with the drivers only with the AMD link app on android where each time you open it the app asks you to add a PC which is annoying and some minor bugs

1 Like

What GPU do you have?

I’ve got a R9 380

1 Like

I installed it last night and did some preliminary testing with my Vega 56. For a Chill test I launched Grim Dawn since I figured this would be a best-case scenario.

I let it go full bore and the performance metrics were showing ~170FPS at 1632MHz on the GPU core, 1040MHz on the HBM2, and a power draw in the neighborhood of 260w. I jumped into Overlay, went to the Chill tab, enabled, set minimum to 40FPS, max to 75, got upper 60’s for the most part and power draw dropped to sixty-eight watts! Play was smoother than letting it go since no frame tearing was occurring (I have a Freesync monitor but it does nothing over the refresh rate since the range is too low, 40-75).

I’m impressed so far. I also tried the app, which seems neat, but I do want them to fix the ‘add a new computer’ every time, that’s gonna get tedious. If Chromecast can save info, this can too since it works over your local network (according to the AMD guys in the PCPER video).

So far I like the new features a lot.

2 Likes

Also using it now.
Only issue is that in a lot of older DX9 games the overlay can often break and not show up at all for some reason. It will just pause the game and pop up the mouse cursor.

But otherwise I liike it. Chill works like the Cryolator on my Rx580’s.
ReLive is nice and the performance metrics work great, but are a bit small on large displays.

Also don’t try to toggle the overlay when you run 3dMark 06. It completely breaks and freezes the benchmark. Maybe this is also just a crossfire problem.

You have to then use task manager to kill 3dmark.

I feel like crossfire scaling in newer titles has generally also improved. Except for Watch Dogs 2 that is. That game has 100% negative scaling on Crossfire and SLi. Utter garbage.

2 Likes

I’m using it since yesterday and it seems to work fine (yay - chill for every game, now I’m gaming at 50°C).

The only thing that doesn’t seem to work is Enhanced Sync, when it is activated I get noticeable tearing on my r9 390.

1 Like

Will try the app soon, but the rest is really nice with in game overlay settings for lots of stuff. Not everything saves to the game profile, but just having it at hand is good. Bringing up the performance overlay while gaming comes with a performance penalty of about 5% with my Fury, but again its nice to hit some keys to have a quick look at clocks or temperatures. It does mean that the FPS counter is moot though.

Chill for every game is probably my favorite. Even when keeping the floor relatively high to avoid a brief but noticeable lowered responsiveness, the lower power draw can be quite noticeable. And for some games you could go crazy with it.

1 Like

There’s one thing that bugs me though. Is it possible to globally set chill? For instance, define min_fps and max_fps and enable this setting by pressing f11 in each and every game.

1 Like

I believe you can do that but it has to be in the Radeon settings for Global Settings and can’t be set universally in the Overlay.

1 Like

My global settings do no offer this option. I can disable and enable chill and I can set a hotkey.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll take a look at mine this evening.

2 Likes

I have not tried the new drivers but on the old ones you could enable it only on certain games.

1 Like

They changed that - now it works on every single game.

3 Likes

You can set global max FPS with FRTC. The minimum is based on how powerful your GPU is…

1 Like

Well, I do want to change the minimum - on my 390 it is set to 70fps per default, even on games like Dishonored 2 and Witcher 3. While I do think my GPU performs rather well, I’m not sure I’d notice the difference between 40fps or 144fps when staring at a wall. Besides, this seems more like a work-around since Chill and FRTC are two (albeit similar) unrelated features.

1 Like

Going to install it when I get home

will be interesting to see if compute mode is specific to miners or if it also helps for gpu rendering

1 Like

I installed it last night, but I didn’t have much time to play around with it. I mostly played around with the AMD Link app. The iOS app was quite prone to crashing however. In the half hour I had to play with it, it crashed more than a half-dozen times. I’m sure stability will improve with time, but I do have one UX complaint. It asks you to add a new PC every time you open it. It should just automatically reconnect when you open the app or at least have that as an option.

I would like to play around with Chill and the new overlay. Maybe this weekend.

1 Like

Same here it turns out.

1 Like

I tried Chill in Just Cause 3 and got some interesting results. Wattage dropped like a stone, which makes me wonder if it’s being accurately reported, but as soon as I disabled Chill it shot back up again to reasonable levels (around 160-180w at 80% GPU usage with Vsync on at 75).

I think I’ll have to do some frame limit testing to see what the huge difference is between, say 40 FPS (low set in Chill) and 75 FPS.

With Chill on and the maximum set to 75 I didn’t see FPS go over 67; it isn’t a huge deal to me personally, but I can see where it’ll get a lot of negative feedback.

Edit: just found the Enhanced Sync setting, but that’ll have to wait until tomorrow for an impression. Unless someone else is trying it too (hopefully).

1 Like