Who plays guitar?

thanks =) your sounds pretty cool too. ill try and record something a bit heavier soon.

yeah, it is just a cheap guitar lol. $199 new, made in china, plastic nut, bad frets, intonation sucks lol. All carvins come with a Tusq graphite nute, and i will be paying like $20 more for Stainless steel frets. these things last forever. you should check out a build series that goes through the build of a guitar start to finish. they are made in San Diego.

oh, and every Carvin comes with locking tuners :)

I want to go passive, and i am still undecided. im looking at Dimarzio D Activator X (blade pick up) or a Bill Lawrence blade pickup like Dimebag used. or maybe the new Seymore Duncan Jason Becker pickup.. idk! i think im gonna have to go into a guitar center and try some out lol

here is the first video in the build series. i LOVED watching these videos. i suggest watching 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Brd9TPJm8

One thing about locking nuts being a pain in the ass for me is if I want to tune the guitar, I have to loosen the locking nut so the strings can be free to tune. I almost broke the strings on an ESP guitar at Guitar Center once, because I didn't have a screwdriver to loosen the locking nut. The guitar was very off tune from where I wanted it to be. It really disappointed me because it had EMGs on it lol.

I never heard of locking tuners, but if you meant locking nuts, then read my earlier response.

thanks, my fav on list are stella,groove and test jam. stella i like the intro and the end but the center im unsure of I've re-written it about 2-3 times. groove is super simple and fun to play. test jam was just in the moment stuff but was fun messing about. slipping i really enjoyed the sound of it and rock it but still not finished lol

on my ibanez it has a floating bridge and fine tuners down there so even with the nuts locked i can still tune it without having to loosen  them and something that is fucking sweet is that the top string the fine tune adjuster is longer then the rest so switching to drop d is easy takes a few seconds 

nice iphone licks lol. sounds good though. i recorded mine through a digitech rp 355 works pretty good i just like the sound of the tube distortion more

not a locking nut, but a locking tuner.

you put the string in and then twist the lock to lock it in, cut the excess off, and then you tune the guitar to whatever you want, as the string is locked in the tuning peg. that is the main part a tuner gets out of tune, is the wound string in the peg slipping. this locks it, and you don't have to twist is a million time to tune it. in fact, you don't even get a full revolution before the guitar is tuned to E :)

So you have a Floyd Rose? I cannot send a picture of my current guitar bridge because I do not know how to do that, but its the equivalent of a Fender-style bridge that is standard with strats, but black. for me to install a floyd rose would require me to route into my guitar's body for the bridge to fit, also for the locking nut.

Thanks. Your Digitech RP 355... is it a pedal? I know this question sound stupid since Digitech is well known for their pedals, but bear with me.

Oh, ok then. Does Carvin make guitars with Floyd Rose bridges?

i LOVED my RP200. it got stolen like 5 years ago (was in my car, which got stolen). but at least those bastards didn't have the power cord lol

sure do. take a look at the order form for the DC600, and build what you want :)

http://www.carvinguitars.com/cart/buildGuitar.php?model=dc600#top

here is a build i put together. still haven't decided if i want a quilted maple top though. that would add $350, plus like $80 for the headsock to be quilted maple too. 

but still, it is USA made, fully custom, and MUCH cheaper than a big brand USA made guitar, as im sure this exact build would be $3k+

I build effects pedals for a living, but my playing is really bad.  

• What guitar is it? (mainly telecasters, but have 70's LP, Epiphone 335 and getting more into semi acoustics )
  • What amp do you use? (Vox AC30, Vox VT30)
  • What do you know? (less then i should)
  • What genres do you play? (blue)
  • How long have you been playing? (10 years)
  • How many guitars do you have? (5 electric, i acoustic)
  • Electric or acoustic? (electric)
  • Are you in a band? (no)

I use a Epiphone Dot because it was pretty cheap and I like it but probably in the future I would like to get a Gibson firebird. With my guitar I mostly use a peavey Valve King Royal King 8 which is a little combo amp but I also have a peavey windsor (which is a head) and the cabinet is a peavey Valve king straight 412. I mostly play metal but sometimes I play some rock and/or jazz. I've been playing for around 8 years now. I own 2 electric and 2 acoustic (one steel string and one nylon string). I play both of them equally. I have made one song with someone which was for an music school project but I'm not sure if I want to do anything else with it in the wild. 

Hey dude, I've been playing for 17 years and play gigs regularly.  I'll post my gigging rig hopefully to give people some insight into where to spend money and where to be cheap.

• What guitar is it? Epiphone Les Paul Customs (I bring an extra for a backup)
  • What amp do you use? Fender Hot Rod Deville (not cheap, but necessary- go to a pawn shop)
  • Pedals (in order)- 
  • Korg Pitchblack tuner (buy a good tuner)
  • Ibanez AW7 autowah (cheap and good enough 'cause wah is really not used that much)
  • H+K Tube Factor (not cheap, but a mainstay, find used)
  • Digitech Death Metal (cheap and good enough metal tone)
  • Rogue Delay (cheap and good enough)
  •  LPB-1 (cheap boost for solos)
  •  Ernie Ball volume pedal
  • What guitar is it? PRS SE custom 24 and Agile 828 are my mains
  • What amp do you use? For real amps it's an ENGL E530 pre into Peavey Classic 50/50 and Genz Benz 212 cab
  • What do you know? Technique wise a lot. Theory wise not so much. The song that I play best is Die to Live - Steve Vai
  • What genres do you play? Anything that comes to mind. I love metal, but suck at it :(
  • How long have you been playing? On and off for like 10 years. Wrist problems.
  • How many guitars do you have? 5. Getting rid of my PRS SE for something better eventually.
  • Electric or acoustic? Electric but I've been playing acoustic more lately
  • Are you in a band? Nope

Hey man, got a rig question for ya- You have some interesting gear, was it just kind of a random compiling or a specific purpose?

I have a guitar but I have no clue how to play it. I need to somehow tune the strings before I do anything.

I play professionally with Cirque Du Soleil, i'm not saying where because i'm not a full time guitarist and i'm more of a fill in and audio technician.(repairing guitars, soldering, patching, repairing speakers and other audio electronics, and stuff of those sorts).
  • What guitar is it?

I play a few guitars starting with; Gibson Explorer (w/ EMG 81/85 and afterburner) this is my daily guitar, Jackson USA Soloist 1 (w/ EMG 81/60), ESP DV-8 Dave Mustaine Signature V (w/ Seymour Duncan Livewire DM edition), PRS Mikael Akerfeldt SE which is my newest, Miguel Rodriguez CE-7 classical guitar, Gibson Les Paul 1950's reissue (w/ Demarzio pick ups), Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG 1960's reissue, ESP EC-1000 (w/ Seymour Ducan JB pickups), Baker BK-2, Ibanez JS series (forgot which model at the top of my head), Fender Strat 50th anniversary (w/ noiseless pickup hb/s/s set up and coil splitter switch), Fender 60th anniversary telecaster, and Epiphone Les Paul Classic  (one of my starting guitars).

• What amp do you use?

My home set up is Peavy Valveking VK100 head and VK cab w/ Line6 HD500 pedal....anything past 100w tube is overkill, even for live shows...the PA systems can carry real well.

At work, i tend to use PA systems driven by a Line6 HD Pro and JBL speakers off of a huge Mackie mixing board.

I'm into computerized pedal boards over analog, even though i do own a full analog pedal set up, it's just extremely noisy and inconvenient to bring along.

• What do you know?

I'm still trying to learn more techniques and incorporating them seamlessly together. I mostly know Finger Tapping, Legato playing, Hammer on/ Pull off, sweeping (still learning the phrygian scales and soon Dorian scales), Trying to master classical techniques (original training that got me into metal). Tremolo picking, almost have every chord mastered, maybe missing 4 or 5 chords, string skipping i really enjoy, love doing sweeps with string skipping with some legato flair.  I love the whole concept of economy picking, so i really try to emphasize as much economy picking while getting the most out.  Lately i've been on a mad obsession trying to sweep with both hands, Chris Broderick got me on that kick after watching his videos.

• What genres do you play? (Metal, rock, blues, etc.)

Metal, Rock, Classical, LOTS of progressive

• How long have you been playing?

9 years overall, i started in the beginning putting about 5-6 hrs a day and now the last 2 years i've been  so busy that i may put 1-2 hrs a day.  Going to school for video game design.

• How many guitars do you have? (I have 2 electrics, and two acoustics)

4 electric, 1 classical (general use); me and my father collect guitars so at his house we have 12 more electric guitars.

• Electric or acoustic? 

Electric and Classical, not a fan of acoustic guitars...i feel that the steel strings ruin the tone of an acoustic...that's my opinion though, just never been a fan.

• Are you in a band?

i was part of 3 pretty serious bands, 1 which got signed by a record label in which i had to leave right when we got signed for school.  2 other bands before which have competed in local battle of the bands and have won several times.  Currently i don't have time for a band, since i'm way too busy.

Damn... that's awesome!