Whisk(e)y

It was an economically advantaged move, that basically engrained to the practice
Only sparse instance you’d see scotch distilleries, making use of fresh barrels, is for 2nd barrelling
[exs. Tomatin Dualchas, Deanston Virgin Oak - and both bottlings are NAS]

Since Scotland doesn’t go through noticeable seasonal shifts, compared to some parts of US*, the interaction of whisky with wood [let alone, fresh barrels], will end up distinctly different… I’d be curious, for such an elaborate [timed] experiment, to take place

*It takes <<2yrs, for a violent swinging region like Texas [100+ → frost → 100+]

1 Like

If info matches, this is the whisky, that I missed out on seeing…

2 Likes

From the other day:
Wanted to try out an Irish Whiskey, that I did skip over a few times… Wasn’t in stock.
So did the next best thing, in restocking stuff… went for the standard gin [other option is Rhubarb HEAVY]
Also jumped on a few bottles of a short-release Imperial Stout… Hoping for better outcome over last years

1 Like

Tullamore Dew 12 Year Old Special Reserve Irish Whiskey | House of Malt

Can’t go wrong with a classic. Get your bevvy online, forget stores & shifting stock.

1 Like

My staples right now

5 Likes

Been a few newer distillery / bottlers, making face recently, in the bigg shops
Want to give’em a go, especially if some are respecting the nectar [no chill filtering / etc.]

+Yes, Tully 12 is good grab, along their lineup

1 Like

Livet12 is sooo goood…
I need to restock on Toki. I still have a bunch of bottles to finish so I can open up some more space…

1 Like

Had a couple of friends here yesterday and my Chita is now gone, I will need to buy a new japanese whisky to replace it.

How is that Toki compared to the Chita?

Toki, is a in-house blend of whiskies, within the Suntory umbrella
Chita, is one of those distilleries, involved with the blend
…If not mistaken, the standard Chita bottling, goes through some wine finishing?

I’d [eventually] like to get hands on Hibiki Harmony – Basically go SoL, whenever I see it listed
Would also entertain likes, of Nikka Barrel and Black/Red Malt series [+ better odds finding]
… Also hoping for Nikka, to revive their Coffey series of whisk(e)y

1 Like

I haven’t had Chita but this suntory has fruity tones, it’s actually a little (not a lot) similar to the glen next to it

1 Like

Aaaand it’s gone

3 Likes

You insane bastard :rofl:

2 Likes

That Escalated Quickly Escalator GIF - ThatEscalatedQuickly Escalate ...

1 Like

Didn’t walk out with whisk(e)y, but helped another person not walk out empty

Dude was looking high/low, for a Macallan 12 double cask, all to no avail
Then asked for viable alternates. He would [eventually] walk out, with an Aberlour 12
… Hopefully that party appreciated it, along with his effort

2 Likes

I must say I would not recommend Aberlour 12 as a replacement for Macallan 12… Macallan is way smoother and softer. Aberlour is stronger flavorwise and sherry caske finished. I don’t think Macallan 12 even the double wood is sherry finished. Is it? Cause it doesn’t taste like it is …

Of course one distillery cannot replicate another distilleries product

Macallan has sherry involved, somewhere in their whisk(e)ys life
Whether in finishing(s) or a major/full-on maturation treatment
I’d agree, that the 12 double doesn’t have [much] impact… Much prefer single

His objectives were sherry finished and relatively tame [~40%]
Other options involved, either were of higher abv., F-U $$, or peaty beatings

2 Likes

Completely forgot to post these–> post-wash

1 Like

2 Likes

For the first 35 years of my life I had only tasted Sierra tequila and was pretty sure all tequila was disgusting. Then my mom and her guy went to Mexico and brought home some aged tequila and I realised it was so much more.

1 Like

Anyone tried this thing?

Everywhere I look there seems to be overwhelmingly positive reviews of it. It’s not that pricy… I may treat miself for the holidays…

1 Like