Which ultrawide should I go for?

Which is better Massdrop Vast, Viotek GN34C, or Crossover 3412UM? Since ebay has a 15% discount today, I am thinking of getting the an ultrawide before the sale ends.

Wow if that Viotek really has a 16ms response time I’d steer clear.

I am pondering the Vast right now as well, 100Hz, 49-100Hz Freesync, aluminum housing, you can actually rotate the thing into portrait if you really want to, a 2ms response (when overdriven, I’m perfectly happy at 5ms though), and an extra diagonal inch. The real downside is it doesn’t ship until late July.

Dell UltraSharp U3415W or LG 34UC88.

I personally can not vouch for the quality of a any of those 3 monitors, but I can certainly swear by Dell monitors. Been using them for years, and I have had nothing but the best possible experience from every single one. Never had any dead pixels, amazing build quality and features, fantastic performance, no gimmicky features like aluminum housings (trust me, this is actually a downgrade from quality plastic), and reasonable on the price with (from my experience) unbeatable durability/longevity.

Those cheap monitors are often a crab-shoot on quality and longevity, and I would only consider them if they were considerably cheaper than a Dell alternative. Don’t listen to the specs they spout, because often they aren’t true. NEVER listen to Response Time, because a great response time can be met with HORRIBLE input lag, and actually be worse off than a mediocre response time monitor with virtually no input lag. Generally though, a monitor shouldn’t have more than 8ms of response time, as anything more is a tell-tale sign of more crap that is wrong.

So my best advice with those off-brand monitors: check up reviews and find a good seller for them. A review will give you overall responsiveness taking all the factors into consideration, while a good seller will come in handy when/if you get a bad unit. Can’t find either of those? Skip it. Are they not significantly cheaper than a name-brand alternative? Skip it. After running into dealing with a bunch of low-end crap, this is generally my way of looking at these things now.

2 Likes

To be fair, the Dell is 60Hz and has no FreeSync (for me a dealbreaker, especially the latter).

L1T did a couple reviews on the Crossover UW monitors:

I really wish they’d get a Vast and put it through real testing though, as there are three reviews out and none of them are particularly in-depth.

Not in my book generally speaking, but I work with materials all day like aluminum and plastics. It might be gimmicky in some fashion, but I’m okay on that front.

A few recent Vast reviews:

I am really tempted to go for the Vast, but I dont know how good is the quality controls from Massdrop since I am forwarding this monitor from the US to latin america. I asked them what would happen if the monitor has a dead pixel or that sort of thing and they told me they will provide me with a Prepaid UPS shipping label, but I dont know if the prepaid part includes shipping from outside the US

LG is decent, Both of my Crossovers had crazy screen retention and ended up burning kinda badly.

Exactly why I never recommend the cheap off-brand monitors. Sure, they may be cheap, and you could justify that you can could buy a 2 for the same name-brand monitor of equal feature-set, but to me, it isn’t worth the hassle. I’ve owned too much cheap off brand stuff that now I enjoy saving up, purchasing and owning the high quality product much more than cheaping out and saving money on something of questionable quality.

That’s just me though, and I know plenty of people who are the exact opposite, but that’s what my life experience has taught me.

2 Likes

True. It’s a good thing my boss bought me my LG when he did a few years ago or it’d be stuck with a crappy monitor :stuck_out_tongue: