Which SSD to purchase

So, I'm about to build a new PC and was wondering what I should do concerning my SSD. In my current PC I have a Transcend SSD370s 512GB which seems to perform well enough and which I could keep using, since I only purchased it in 2015. So, I think it should still be fine. The other (newer) SSD options (although I'm open to suggestions) would be:

1. The Mushkin Reactor 1TB [1] [2] which seems to have roughly the same performance as my SSD370s but double the size.
  2. The SanDisk X400 1TB [1] [2] which seems to perform slightly worse than my current SSD, but again it has double the size and offers 5y warranty.
  3. The ADATA XPG SX8000 512GB [1] [2] a considerable faster drive (sine it's m.2) with a 5y warranty.
  4. The Samsung SSD 960 Evo 500GB [1] [2] because performance :-D

As already mentioned, I'm open to suggestions as well. A more sensible choice would propably be to get a new SSD for my current PC, I plan to run ArchLinux on it and use it as BTRFS NAS. But pruchasing a faster or bigger drive (maybe even coupled with a nice warranty) would also have it's benefits.

In my experience, the speed of the SSD is mostly irrelevant. Where I live M.2 SATA SSDs are considerably cheaper (~$50), so you might want to take a look for one of those if you have a spare M.2 slot.

1 Like

As far as I've seen, all of the mentioned SSDs are in the same price range (250€)

do eet

5 Likes

I've only ever used Samsung SSDs, I've got 5 now, ranging from 256GB to 1TB & have never had an issue. Oldest one is about 4-5 years I think.

I'm tempted as well :-D
The ADATA SSD offers nice warranty though. Has someone any experiences with the SanDisk SSD posted above? Do you think it's roughly equal to my current SSD (see below).

Anyway, just did a performance test on my current SSD and got the following result:

Which is not too bad for the 120€ I paid :-D Also, according to the status monitor 99% is still fine.

I have used all of those brands (not models) minus the ADATA. I dont think any of them are a bad choice, but I will say this. I have the 950 Pro in my work machine, and I am now looking for any excuse I can to put an m.2 in my own machine.

You might think that its overkill but I notice a difference from my home machine to this machine. My gaming machine is set up on raid 0 with 2 kingston shit drives but its still no slouch.

3 Likes

It definitely looks nice.

It comes down to what you want, if you want speed go for the 960 if you need more space then the 1TB drives look OK.

before and after ramcache

1 Like

Teach me your ways

Are you running a data center or something at your house bro? For what do you need all them Gigabytes for?

.#jealous

I like big numbers and I cannot lie
All you other hard drives can't deny

2 Likes