Which speakers

Hi,

I am in search for a replacement for my once loved Edifier S730.

My current ideas are:

1. KRK RP6 G3 (pair) or KRK RP8 (pair), stands & foam

or

1. Audioengine A5+

or

???

The Edifier S730 was good but it was far too loud and far too much bass and not that good treble / mids.

The speakers will be used for pc gaming, movies and music listening… And rare occasions of FLStudio use with usb keyboards.

Suggestions, thoughts anyone?

I can only say that I have the KRK RP6 G3 and i like those a lot.
For my ears they sound clean, punchy and very dynamic.
Monitors with a bit of fun mixed into them.

Probably doesn’t help but hey, worst case the topic gets a free bump. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t care for either of those speakers. I think they get a lot of coverage because they are easy to setup and have become popular mass consumer speakers, but they don’t sound nearly as good as people think they do.

The Vanatoo T1s have all the same creature comforts and the same price as the other speakers you listed, but they sound WAY WAY WAYYYYY better.

They are out of stock right now, but if you give them a week or two they will have more in stock.

I know JBL has new 305 MK2s that are supposed to be pretty nice.

They are different though, physically. The KRK are front ported while the Vanatoo have something in the back for that. The A5+ seem to have no port at all.

Also, question: Is a pair of T1 two identical units or is it one with the amp and a passive speaker for the other side?

Foam? Those come with something rubber like mattes glued under them.

I would probably avoid KRK till they stop using the garbage potting material that they use in various models of speakers. It’s a potting material for their Electronics that sucks up humidity and becomes conductive with age. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1072-krk-rokit-6-studio-monitor-speaker-repair/

One has the amp and the other side does not.

More about it here.

Wow, that is interesting. You don’t have a source for the third gen I suppose?

OK, in this video he seems to think that the problem is gone in G3.
Gonna try to find a proper source for that.

While I could not find a source stating the 6" G3 are free of the gunk, this video shows that the 8" definitely are:

I also can’t find a single report about the G3 buzzing the way the G2 did.
I would say that problem is gone.

What do you guys think of the JBL LSR308 or the JBL LSR305?

Is the 308 worth the extra cost?

Is the 308 too much for a living room? Movies, gaming and music.

I have the A5, and they’re good speakers (best I’ve ever owned, but this was my first foray into higher-end audio). If you decide on Audioengine A5+, I would suggest an alternative: the Swan M200 MKIII. Had I known about the Swans at the time, I would’ve gotten them. They’re said to be significantly better than the A5+. It may cost you a little more but they’ll be worth it. However, the Audioengines have more features and connection options. If you want those on the Swans, you’d need the M200 MKIII+. They’ll cost you a bit more…and you still won’t get a USB charging port, but you get digital connections and another set of RCA inputs.

Swan is also now owned by a Chinese company, HiVi, in case you can’t stomach that.

They are too bright.

Also fun fact, anything with shiny black plastic is not designed by the true JBL that make high end reference style speakers.

Pro tip. Anything you can buy at guitar center or best-buy is going to pail in comparison to what you can get from a half decent hifi shop.

Do the speakers have to be powered? For 150 bucks you could get a receiver and have a lot more options.

I was thinking of setting these up, 1 on each side of the room:

They £336 so my budget in USD is about $475.80, if the price is matched in USD.

I wont be using them with a mobile device, just PC as it’s used for everything.

My previous system was £280, but is now £470 lol.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-S730D-speaker-system-PC/dp/B001ERYAAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525321132&sr=1-1&keywords=edifier+s730&dpID=51hu8TBHsdL&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

Here is my review of them:

Oh see. I really wish I could send a message out to everyone who isn’t in the US to stop trying to give us your budget in USD.

It never works. : (

I will say this though. If you are willing to consider used gear, you can get some seriously and I mean SERIOUSLY good gear in the UK for dirt cheap.

The celestion 3 speakers are REALLY good. Nice bass, clear highs, great mids. These speakers were my gateway drug for vintage hifi.

For an amp, just literally ask your dad or any old person in the neighborhood about a leak valve amplifier and I can almost promise you that someone would be willing to give one away for free or maybe for like 100 pounds or something.