Which Ryzen mainboard?

Are those Single Rank DIMMS? For Ryzen you really need to get single rank dimms if you want all 4 slots populated at 2666Mhz.

Oh yeah. Well .. shit. It is dual ranked. Forgot about that when looking for timings....

Bclock or b square

1 Like

OK, tried a few things but ryzen really does not like Savage memory.

Huh, just realized that the Prime doesn't support 2666 on four dimms at all.
In fact I would have to go down to 2400MHz to run 32GB regardless how many dimms.

I think for now I'll stick to my G.Skill 16GB and just wait before I try anything else again.

So now ... the fun part.

1 Like

On what BIOS are you now running that Asus X370 Prime PRo? 02/27?

1 Like

BTW I almost forgot to mention. With my ASRock X370 Gaming K4 the XMP was broken at first so i was stuck at 2133. A new BETA bios update fixed that. But jeez, BETA bios (NOPE NOPE NOPE). So instead I bypassed XMP by flashing the SPD on my RAM sticks to 2666Mhz Native.

It works but it's a bit crazy and involved. Figuring out the new checksum for DDR4 was a bit of challenge.

I am on the latest official BIOS which is 0504, I think your date is right. I tried manual and that Asus thing DOCP or whatever on the savage. It just doesn't work. I'll send it back next week. I have working RAM, so ... I'll wait.

I warn for ages about validation and timings, and this is how you repay me?

Oy Vey, room fulla schlomiels we got here

So, you'd recommend waiting for another brand? I'm a little torn since ASUS boards are the only ones available here...

I am waiting for more compatible RAM before trying to go 32GB again. My board is fine.

No I'm really tempted to purchase an ASUS board :-D

The Prime X370 Pro is basically like one of the somethingsomethingA boards, like Z170A, X99A and so on. No bs (well, not much at least), top end chipset, solid but not crazy overbuilt. That is the one I'm running. My 1700 is currently at 3.8GHz and all I did was change the multiplier. I don't want to go higher for now because everything else is on auto and I have no way of monitoring temps and volts in linux yet.

2 Likes

is cpuid not working yet?

Does that exist for linux?

sorry, I meant cpufreq:

From the looks of it that is running lm_sensors.
Those don't work yet and even if, does lm_sensors have volts?

It's using phctool/cpufreq-info to check vid/voltages, not sure if they source that info from lm-sensors or not, but if they are, then yes.

Personally I'm like gigabyte products and so recommend you Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3, which is very cool board.
http://www.androidleo.com/2017/04/best-am4-b350-motherboards-ryzen.html

I think that getting any gigabyte lga 1150 board is a best option. As long as you can overclock it really well. No need to get a first generation yet. And their have not been much improvements from lga 1150. Unless you wanna be balls to the wall on the bleeding edge technology with production workloads. But for gaming and longevity. lga 1150 is a solid bet. AM4 is in it's first generation. And no one knows what is up Intel's sleeve.

I assume that topic starter allready made a decission about which Ryzen board to buy.
I will put a lock on this topic.

2 Likes