Which Ryzen mainboard?

No. I disagree...
I understand Wendell (Master Wendell, forgive me for what I am about to say) is above the average "tech youtuber", but no. Asus reviews consistently have lower clock speeds and lower ram speeds than Gigabyte for example. I am completely ignoring MSI, because i don't consider them in any possible situation as an option. But Asrock, in all places i have seen, have consistently being overclocking well. Ram speeds are hit and miss, but OC is amazing. All Asrock reviews - 4GHz and above. Asus is 50-50 3,9 and 4...
Whatever people say, there is something wrong in the motherboard.
I will say this: Probably there isn't anymore. All brand (except Biostar, I mean they have announced AM4 platform delay because of UEFI issues they are trying to fix) have been pushing updates, so my guess is, by the end of the next week, everything we know will be completely different.

Well... he said 4.2GHz mostly stable.

with a massive voltage hike.

@psycho_666 look at the silicon lottery data. getting an 1800X that can do 4.1 is the top 20% of chips. Wendell got a golden sample.

Asus has UEFI problems right now for sure, but I think every single board on the market suffers from this to some extent. Asrock just shipped a competent board at release. (which should be a given granted, but it's wrong to attribute all the differences to the mobo hardware.)

many reviewers refuse to bench on bclock OCs because it turbo-flavor-blasts the ram too, meaning they can't isolate one performance variable. also, note that Wendell isn't using the kit that got sent out to reviewers, which was only validated for 2933 on a multiplier OC

sigh...

is it wrong for me to also want bling?

is the thought of the taichi with a f*ck tonne of rgb just sexy as hell just me or are there others?

I never used to care about bling, what the hell happened to me? :(

You know you can buy a 60$ case with RGB LEDs, or just buy RGB LED strips and do whatever...

Not to mention the Taichi already have RGB...

Bruh.

The thread says "Which Ryzen Mainboard," not "Post Your Tackiest Clown Car Pics"

Flagged for off topic

Fair Enough...

Give MSI some time... They like to do those kinds of stuff...

I was joking, I didn't really flag your post

I do think "clown car" is 100% appropriate as a descriptor for builds like this though.

I know you are joking btw

LOL!

1 Like

Yes. It is wrong. Now go to camp and pray the RGB away.

Again, joking. I adore the homosexual community. Much moreso, as it turns out, than I do RGB PC builds
1 Like

Oh, the build is horrible. I was refering to the case. The RGB on it is actually amazing. It have multiple regimes, a single and multiple colors, tons of stuff...

67 freaking bucks. With customizable RGB and fan controllers and everything... 67 freaking dollars...
I was really tempted to buy it to replace my Fractal Arc Midi R2. Then i noticed i can't use all my 140mm fans, soooo... no... Arc Midi R2 is still amazing, just no light in it.

1 Like

You Keep saying "RGB" like it's a feature, and not the industry equivalent of herpes.

But yeah, if the build quality is right and you like the design language, 67 USD is a good value.

I prefer the Corsair 200R at that price point, but do you, man

Honestly, my opinion is there should be only white... White is the best light for any build no matter the color coordination. All colors look better with white light. RGB is waste of time, effort, wires, marketing, money and LEDs...

1 Like

inb4 this is quoted by the WSJ to make L1T to look racist.

Case lighting needs a lot more effort to be visually effective than most people put into it.

Also: RGB strips get the white color temperature all wrong typically, and you get bad diffraction/backscatter the closer an object is to them.

That said I've seen some very good looking builds using ccfl, EL wire and even LED lighting that are breathtaking, and don't look like someone threw a turbo in a hyundai and decided to spend the rest of their mod budget n "cosmetic improvements."

it's all a matter of moderation and knowing where and when to use it.

1 Like

And here I was always getting the high end 'plain jane' asus WS boards

Sorry for starting a thread derailment.. I was just looking at rgb ram kits and for some bizarre reason had the overwhelming need to purchase them.

It used to be that I was always about practicality, everything had a purpose and a purpose for everything..

Even my first 'taste' of rgb was purposeful... it was the light on the h80i that changed depending upon cpu load.

...After that the "infection" spread and I started buying fans with rgb rather than the plain ones that I used to.

Slippery slope.

2 Likes

"Talk to your kids about RGB, before someone else does"

This message brought to you by The adult population of PC builders

2 Likes

Even supposedly white LEDs are not really white. Apart from temperature (which should be around 5500K), the green and magenta shifts of some LEDs are horrible, even high CRI ones.

hence my preference for EL wire, ccfls, or no lighting at all (the warm white LEDs are better than RGB, they look like incandescent light, which isn't true white, but it still seems more "natural"]

... but RYZEN does.... HyperX Savage 2666 CL13 is no bueno in all four slots. Two are fine.

So now I'll try to find LPX locally to save the weekend.

From what I've seen that 13 and 33 difference makes almost no difference vs the 15 35 on 2666 Mhz dimms. It really only seems to start to matter at 3000Mhz and up.