Which Ryzen mainboard?

So, basically the 1700 is better when compared to the 1700X and 1800X, because it's power draw is lower at the same clockspeed, with the only drawback being that it might not achieve the same clockspeed?

4 Likes

Yup, it looks very much like that.

3 Likes

yes, and all evidence points to it achieving the same OCs 9 times outta 10

2 Likes

I went down this rabbit hole and this time my please elaborate thing question for you guys is:

Only reason to get mobo like Taichi is for getting memory go past 3200MHz, and G.Skill Flare X is the only kit doing 3466MHz by higher base clock.

So, has anyone seen other kits going past 3200MHz or is 1700+Taichi+FlareX the shit? :D

I got the ASRock X370 gaming K4 + 1700X with 4 sticks of 8Gb DDR4 2666, so far it's all well. Just a LOT of bios updates.

2 Likes

I am looking for a good kit, what did you go with?

It was some Patriot Viper Elite 4 series sticks I had lying around. Can't find the exact same ones online. It's basically these though with black PCB

Timings are 15-15-15-35-2T

Running pretty close to what this benchmark shows for the Viper Elite 4 3000Mhz

1 Like

I like how all reviews were made with Asus - 3,9 CPU and 2933 ram...
Here we have Asrock Taichi - 4.2GHz and 3200ram...
3 Likes

I wanna try out the HyperX Savage 2666 from Kingston because of two things: I need pretty low profile sticks if I want to use all four slots. Stuff like this is already a tiny bit to high:

But this should do it.

Second reason is 13 15 15 33.

Why don't you try the Crucial Ballistics Tactical?

I think they also have RGB model...
I believe Asrock have this model in the mem support list...

The savage is lower, I'm not sure if that crucial stick would fit.
Also I like Kingston, never had problems with any of their memory.

.... and fuck RGB.

Is there a good reason to buy the those over the savage?

Where I live, they are cheaper... And I think they look better.
I would have gone for Ballistics Sport,

but they were not in the mem support list. And I have had ram issues with Asrock and unlisted ram.

True that...

According to this statistic, a 1700X is more efficient than a 1700 and a 1800X is more efficient than a 1700X

Huh, would have been interesting to try to undervolt all three. I would guess the differences would be bigger than on the high end.

Valid. :)

Irrelevant to me.
Could be pink with neon orange text and purple teletubbies on brown pcb...
It gets stuffed in a black box and will live in the dark.

2 Likes

Corsair, A-Data, G.Skill, Kingston, whoever, do that and I'll buy the sh*t out of it...
I'll even get rid of my Noctua D14 to be able to see it...

1 Like

After benchmarking my Ryzen at stock voltage I'll probably undervolt it, benchmark it again and compare temperatures.

1 Like

also @noenken, @psycho_666

are these am4 validated? if it's 2666 on XMP then it may not do this on Ryzen

Samsung B die kits seem to be the best on am4 so far outside of validation

Well...

It's in the memo support list. Idk if and how to check if it's validated...

I wasn't saying it wasn't just genuinely curious.

See if you can find someone running that AMP profile without problems if there's no evidence from the manufacturer

The issue is, it's Asrock... And while Asus went all out on board quantity, Asrock and MSI for that matter was way more cautious and didn't had enough supply to cover the demand. So it's virtually impossible to confirm this.
I will be able when I get the board and the ram... But for now I trust the Asrock mem support list. Last time I bought ram outside Asrocks list I had to return it and get a kit inside the list. And 2666 didn't have any problems on any board...