Which Ryzen mainboard?

Can someone list the combinations ram kits/mboard that are known to run 3000/3200mhz?

sorry if its already been posted, a bit behind on stuff atm.

Well, still waiting for Wendell's video, but OC3D have a Gigabyte Auros review video, where Tom says it pushes GSkill kit to 3000 no problem.

you get a higher bclock OC range, meaning memory OC is a lot easier. Even on validated kits it's the only way you're getting above 2800 stable.

and yes, pun intended.

1 Like

Good. Pun always intended.

sweet! Never really knew much about memory OC.

G.Skill Fortis/FlareX and anything with external clockgen

That's pretty much it rn

you can get the validated kit sent to reviewers up to 2933 with aggressive bclock OC, but that's as far as she goes by all accounts

I was thinking going 1800X and

Thoughts? :D

1700 and better board plus better cooling will get you a lot further.

Gigabyte has been having issues lately. Asrock is where it's at. Ask foquin about his gigabyte am4 board.

1 Like

What do you mean by getting further, you mean OC or.. what?

Tried to hunt down your foquin person and I gave up.

I spelled his username wrong. He should have made it easier to remember. I'm guna find the correct spelling

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-march-2017-deliberately-avoiding-madness-edition/113534/3737?u=goalkeeper&source_topic_id=113518

I found it. This was most likely a one off thing tho. But gigabyte has gotten some hate on the forums recently.

1 Like

You save around 200,- bucks on the CPU, you put 50,- or so into an X370 board for features and power delivery, a bit extra in cooling just to make it more quiet and you have enough left over for more RAM, a bit of storage, a UPS ... whatever.

all evidence points to the 1700 being able to push the same OCS as the other two, so if you're gonna OC anyway, it's a lot better price/perf-wise

at this early stage, the mobo makes a big difference in what you're able to do with the chip

The SOC's memory controller is problematic so far, as you can't access sub-timings, so the only way you're getting a good memory OC with reasonable timings is gonna be with Bclock overclocking

Only way to do bclock OC is with a board that has an external clock generator, which, at least right now, is a nonstandard feature exclusive to a few x370 boards

so a 1700 + a good x370 board + a validated kit of ram with Samsung B dies = far better overall platform potential than an 1800X + b350 + value ram for the same money

1 Like

Well thats shame, you mind linking where you follow that stuff?

I would love to have this time just tidy board with nutty OC, 2 large ram sticks, 1 GPU, and SATA SSD's only because I tend to stuff everything to the fastest only. Q_Q

Kinda related bonus thingy.
https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-for-amd-ryzen

HWbot forums is chock full of good info on anything overclocking related

1 Like

Well that depends, a 1800X increases your chances when playing the silicon lottery, nothing more. But as others have mentioned, if you're going to purchase a 1800X you might as well get a X370 board

Edit: Also, does someone know the difference(s) between Gigabyte's K5 and K7?

early results point to AMD efficiency binning, but not frequency validating. 1700 should have the same or similar chances of a good OC as the more expensive chips, at least until AMD changes their binning practices. Right now less than 20% of all chips are breaking 4 Ghz anyway, with about 70% of all chips binning from 3.9-4

Could you elaborate on that?

Shouldn't a 1800X with XFR enabled be able to run at 4.1GHz?

The prevailing theory is that they binned for low voltage stability and sorted by power draw, not maximum stable clock at high, 24/7 safe voltages, hence the similarity in OC headroom between SKUs

On 1 or 2 cores. I'm talking about a full processor OC. only the cream of the crop can do 4.1 on all cores.

the tl;dr in all this is that you have maybe a 1 in 5 chance in getting a 1800X that can do significantly better than an average 1700/X, and only about a 1 in 10 chance that you get a 1700/X SKU that does significantly worse than an average 1800X

1 Like

And significantly is a very subjective term here. I still haven't heard of any R7 1700 not hitting 3.8GHz.
So far it looks like this: You are paying 50% more money on the 1800X for having a 20% chance to get 5-10% higher clockspeeds.

It's ridiculous!

1 Like