Which RAM slots do I need to populate when using 4/8 DIMMS

Hey guys I’m still having trouble with my Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI so I thought I’d try replacing the memory. I got the Crucial model seen here

Crucial RAM 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (or 2933MHz or 2666MHz) Desktop Memory CT32G4DFD832A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLHD4F8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_FBNWSP9ZXGKZT36M7XJF

It is straight off the QVL and should work fine with this board but I’m curious which slots I should use? I checked the manual of course (seen here Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI|Motherboards|ASUS USA ) but it doesn’t say anything about this. Do I alternate starting from slot A1 or post them all on one side or the 2 closest to CPU on each side? Any help will be appreciated.

If you’re only going to populate one DIMM slot in a channel, you generally want to use the farthest slot from the CPU and leave the one(s) in the middle open. I’m sure Buildzoid would shake his head at my explanation, but basically the signal has a greater chance for noise if it has to bounce off an open circuit rather than pass through to the active slot/DIMM. So with a normal motherboard with DIMM slots on just the right you would populate A2, B2, C2, etc.

I have zero experience with mobos that have DIMM slots on both sides, but if they’re not mirrored then you would still want to populate the furthest slot regardless of number. It is also possible that the traces are wired up in reverse on some motherboards, but that seems incredibly inefficient so I can’t see that really being a thing either. If the manual doesn’t explicitly state to populate the first slots first, then I would default to the last slot per channel with only one DIMM.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.