Which PC case should I get?

This is perfectly fine. I’m not saying you must, but I have a sneaking suspicion it would make your life a whole lot easier to offload the bulk storage to a 4-drive cabinet with hot swap bays. But hey, you do you. :slight_smile:

I just don’t see what benefit moving my drives a few feet down my hall will bring. A decent amount of my drive storage is for holding my steam library – why should I install games to a NAS? It makes no sense.

1 Like

… You do realise with 2.5G Ethernet, downloading that would be faster than holding on to your sloooooooooooooooooooow HDDs, yes?

As for hoarding stuff, I used to do that, then I realised… Why? When will I ever go back to playing most of the stuff in my history? Especially if servers are dead and buried for the majority of those games. :slight_smile:

Well it would be the same drives going into the NAS so no, it would not be faster, and I never said that the drives that I install games to are slow. Just plural. Also I exclusively play single player games. So yes I still play old games.

1 Like

I think you need better hardware

Wait, so you’ve argued all this time that yes you need LOTS of 3.5" storage space and slots only to then agree with me that you no longer use 3.5" storage, only 2.5"?

:rofl:

No, I use 2.5, 3.5, and m.2. As I’ve said a couple of times I match the drives I have with use cases that make sense for them. A big part of the issue you are having seems to be that you are preaching what I should do with the drives with no real interest in why what you’re suggesting makes no sense. You’re saying that I should care about the speed of drives that I have word documents and spreadsheets on one moment, then you’re telling me I should put my steam folder on a NAS. You’ve made up this scenario in which I run my PC exclusively with 5 or so 3.5" drives that I have never given any implication of, but you have run with it regardless. Now I have implied that I have at least one SSD you seem to have gone the other way and assumed that I have no mechanical drives at all, which is untrue: I have 2. I just don’t use them for steam, 8K video editing or my boot drive – all things you have bizarrely assumed with zero evidence or implication.

I don’t agree with you at all, throwing away and replacing my old WD Black (a drive I’ve mentioned by name in this conversation, so I’m not sure why you suddenly think it doesn’t exist) would be both a waste of money and an awful example of unnecessary ewaste.

If you’d stop rolling on the floor laughing for a moment you might be able to focus on your monitor for long enough to read what’s being said. You will get further in life if you stop making up scenarios in your head and then believing them with absolute certainty, and instead keep some kind of curiosity as to what the situation actually is.

2 Likes

Maybe I should edit my OP to remove “Plenty of hard drive space” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Anyways, thanks for the info guys. I will hit the forums and youtube for the cases that were mentioned. I’m finding the case decision to be the hardest to choose than choosing hardware.

1 Like

Yup. Plenty of choice and plenty of “almost fits the bill”.

If you read back what I said the very first time, I argued that:

1. If you have a stack of old mechanical drives that total say, 3.2 TB over 5 drives or something, it is better to replace that entire stack with an 8 TB drive, or heck even better buy a 4TB NVMe.
  2. There is no reason to have more than two 3.5" slots for your case in 2021.

Since you seem to agree with both these assertions now, and have been for all this time, I have no idea why you keep arguing. Good day Sir!

Amen to that, brother! And then we haven’t even dipped into the world of small cases, like the P-ATX or N-ATX from SFFTime. :slight_smile: Not really recommending them here, you want more watercooling than it will provide, only showing it as another datapoint of where you might want to go here.

Anyway, happy hunting, I think you have enough information by now to run with it! Let us know what you pull the trigger on! :slight_smile:

But I don’t agree with that. That’s the point. Why are you ignoring everything to just say “you seem to agree with both these assertions now”? I do not, I never will, and in fact my strong disagreement with this sentiment forms the bulk of all but one of my replies to this thread. I have 6 drives all in all coming to about 23TB of storage in my desktop. About 15TB of that is HDD. Why does it matter if it’s comprised of 3.5, 2.5 and m.2 storage? It’s exactly the situation you’re railing against for some reason.

Once again your decision that I actually agree with those two statements despite many, many posts I have made to the contrary just goes back to what I said before about you having this situation in your head that you are trying to force reality to bend around, rather than simply looking at the evidence.

Whatever case I end up upgrading to in the future must be able to accommodate all of these drives.

And finally, please don’t call me “sir”.

Ok, so you yourself admit you have only need for two mechanical drives in your desktop case, yet you don’t agree that in 2021, you should only ever need two slots for mechanical drives, unless you are building a NAS?

You have still not managed to provide a good use case for more than 16 TB of local bulk storage, or heck even 8 TB of local bulk storage. You can do it, sure… But why would you ever want to? That’s like saying you can ride a bike from New York City to Washington D.C. Sure, you can… But again, why?

Since thread is over in any case, I’m just going to agree to disagree. Have a fine day, kind Mr/Madam/Meatball/Whateverfloatsyourboat!

[edit]Oh, and you seem to think I want you to do some Stupid Stuff™. No, you do you, in whatever way you want to. I’m merely pointing out that a) You could do it this way and b) You should not have to do it a certain way. Up to you which way you pick! :slight_smile: [/edit]

I think I have my mind set on the: DARK BASE PRO 900 Orange rev. 2 Let me know If anyone has any opinions on this case…

Case looks like a fine choice. I especially like how one can set up a left-side oriented build but still have the PSU at the bottom.

Also, that color scheme goes hand in hand with the Gigabyte Aorus brand for AM4. Perhaps something like the X570S Elite or B550 Aorus Pro. Of course, feel free to put in any brand in there, nowadays with RGB motherboard color matters a whole lot less than it used to. :slight_smile:

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic EVO Black looks quite good Also, cheaper :slight_smile: I might actually go with this.

1 Like

Since you said

That’s the Meshify 2 XL. You can fit the gigantic Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 420 in there.

I lean to the Meshify 2 XL because you don’t have to sacrifice a single fan slot if you want like a RAID-5 HDD array or more.

The Torrent unfortunately doesn’t have as many HDD bays as you think.

It does, doesn’t it?
For around 150 bucks it runs circles.around most other big names…

1 Like

The front RGB strip in the front and $150 price point grabbed my attention. I figured I can save a little money to put towards other parts. I know my original question pointed towards the “largest” case, but the more I think about it, I don’t think I need a huge case. I should be fine as along as there is enough air flow inside the case.

1 Like

I like that be quiet case - color scheme kind of matches the Asus Proart Creator too. Looks like 2 optical drives is a good option.

Also check out the Define 7 @ $129