Which motherboard for a 2950x/X399 VFIO workstation?

I’m building a Threadripper workstation for development, passthrough gaming, and audio production. Which X399 motherboard has the best combination of VRM/UEFI/IOMMU groups? I understand that TR will be challenging to overclock, especially with the slower ECC RAM, but I would like the capability to push it as far as it will go.
My priorities are stability, virtualization ease/support, and lastly overclocking.

My budget is ~$550 for the motherboard.

Current parts:
RAM: Samsung M3​91A2K43BB1​-CRC 16GB ECC DDR4-2400 UDIMM (2)
GPU (Guest): Asus GeForce GTX 1070
GPU (Host): Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770
Case: Fractal Design Define R6
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 860W

Planned parts:
CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950x
Motherboard: ???
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S

Future parts:
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2 (2)
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2
RAM: Samsung M3​91A2K43BB1​-CRC 16GB ECC DDR4-2400 UDIMM (2-6)

Added ‘helpdesk’ Tag so people know you need help.

@psycho_666

You think you can help out in this thread? I don’t think you know the virtualization stuff tho. But you know vrm stuff.

I don’t really, I am still learning and am taking notes, but here’s the deal - the more phases - the better…
I have a rule - stay away from MSI and AMD combo, no matter they have the best VRM X399 board.
I am tempted to just say “get the TaiChi” and be done, but honestly, I have no idea what the X399 boards are and what’s good and what is not…

1 Like

be aware that you’ll either be patching or recompiling your kernel on threadripper VFIO systems to get it up and running

From my research it seems like the MSI MEG Creation has the best VRM, but their history with UEFI updates for other X470/X399 boards hasn’t been great regarding VFIO. I’ve seen folks on here having success with the ASRock Taichi, and less commonly the ASUS Zenith / Gigabyte Designare. It is just difficult to differentiate them when there are so few reviews mentioning virtualization.

I’ve been a Linux user for a long time, so kernel compilations shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ve been leaning towards the Taichi myself, but I’m wondering if each pcie slot has its own iommu group and if certain slots go to certain NUMA nodes.