Which Linux distro's are valuable to learn for the Enterprise?

More places use Suse than you might think.

We have a suse office over here in seattle and they campaign to some of the local companies.

I also run into ubuntu all the time, although I am seeing more and more companies switching away from ubuntu and going back to something like red hat or debian.

I actually ran into 2 companies not too long ago that were using fedora believe it or not. And not some ancient version either. One was on fedora 25 and the other was on fedora 26.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure someone uses it, but I would question whether theyā€™re really at enterprise level. At SOHO level you often have the CEOā€™s nephew setting up the network and running whatever he thinks is cool.

As for Fedora, anyone running a rapid release distro for their business is either not really enterprise level or has what I like to call a ā€œcompetence gapā€.

1 Like

If you were looking into certification, Iā€™ve done RHCSA/2 courses and exam, and in my opinion, learn CentOS or full RHEL if you were aiming to get RHEL certification in your career.

To my knowledge, CentOS is supposed to be a direct clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but with all the Red Hat logos/stuff swapped out.

Not that certification is the be-all and end-all, but RHCSA is one of those pre-requisites for doing further Red Hat courses, and in the enterprise those can mean a lot (Iā€™m told!)

1 Like

We donā€™t really care about lower-level courses, stuff like RHCSA and MCSE or whatever, we largely discount it. If you have a CCIE or are an Oracle OCM of course thatā€™s different.

Where a certification can be useful is that it, well, certifies that you have a certain minimal level of competence. So if you have no experience working in IT theyā€™re worth something as a (wait for itā€¦) Level 1 Tech!

2 Likes

most of the time when a software like gitlab, gitlab-ci, docker, scala based shit etc gets created there is no support for RHEL based systems for quite a while. Only shit-buntuā€¦

Problem of such, lies mainly with great ideas but shitty developers designing on osx and designing it on java to be ported to other systems.

4 Likes

Reminds me of Docker, wonder if there is any relation?

Yes, docker is an implementation of linux containers. Kubernates is a container orchestrator, which tells your cluster how many containers to spin up, on which nodes, which ports to open to which services, and how to scale it up when necessary. CoreOS is an OS that you might run on each node, itā€™s well-suited to the task of doing nothing but running containers because itā€™s stripped-down and minimal.

Knowledge and expertise in the above stuff is very highly valued these days, because itā€™s how applications will be deployed and scaled in the future.

How is MCSE lower level certification?

It used to be one of the lower level and most common ones. Is that no longer the case? We donā€™t do much windows stuff.

1 Like

No, thatā€™s not the case. Itā€™s the highest tier Microsoft cert aside from MCA and MS MVP, both of which I believe you are chosen to receive.

1 Like

OK, pretend I said (quick google here) MTA instead.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you all for the valuable information I greatly appreciate it. Before I start a second thread (or find a thread) regarding certifications, I was curious if anyone here has seen Parrot OS in the wild? I heard it could be a replacement to Kali, but it doesnā€™t seem to have nearly as much notoriety.

Parrot OS Home Page

1 Like

No, havenā€™t seen parrot before, but Iā€™m going to check it out.

To be honest - if youā€™re just getting into the game, pick any Linux. It doesnā€™t matter. Learn how to use a unix terminal. Do some shell scripting.

If you can program install php, Mariadb, and nginx and build a web app. Do it all on a Linux distro laptop and ssh into the server and build the app. It can be a pointless app. Just start doing stuff with Linux.

Once you get comfortable with Linux then pick a path. RHEL for big environments; plays well with ancible, too. For security Debian and Ubuntu arenā€™t bad - thatā€™s what Kali and Parrot are forks of.

Iā€™m going to be honest, in some areas finding someone who can just cd around a Linux terminal can be hard to find.

Personally, I use Fedora as my worststion OS, work in a Red Hat shop, but also have two Ubuntu laptops and heavily use a Macbook because it has a unix terminal and thatā€™s all I really care about/need.

Good luck.

2 Likes