Which linux distro better for macbook for Blender and Substance, need your opinion

Hi there!
Would to know, what can you advise against osx system, I want to install on my old MacBook Pro 2011 like second partition (2.0Hz, 8Gb ram, 500ssd, ati/intel videocard), a version of Linux, I need to have enough for Blender and substances which can best solution perls?
P.S. in the past, i have some little experience with Ubuntu, but i don't like too much, i heard nice rumors about ElementaryOS, CinamonOs, and other cool forks.

Why is everyone set on installing Linux on a mac, which already is Linux??

IMHO, working with ReFind to give a MacBook the ability to dual boot or replace macos is a PITA.

If you really want Linux on a MacBook, run a VM. otherwise, you'll be much better off selling it and getting a windows based laptop that is much easier to work with linux

No it is not. It is born on NextSTEP and is based on BSD not Linux.

I have installed Debian, Ubuntu and Opensuse on Macs they all work fine as long as you have an EFI or ESP partition to boot from.

Blender works equally well on any distro it doesn't matter. @dbx

1 Like

close enough. bsd can run most Linux commands so sorry for not being specific

One is a monolithic kernel the other is hybrid.

Not to mention OSX uses Cocoa for it's userspace .

They are really different things.

Will leave it at that to prevent derailing the thread.

3 Likes

because everyone wants the good performance of the software and because the only the system OSX consuming about 4Gb RAM, also for a long time there is no adequate support for OpenGl, which also slows down the viewport. And how much can you repeat that in the virtual machine will not complete the work, the same renderer will be much longer. So i need install Linux distro.

You say that but its really not, sure SOME commands are the same but not all.
Additionally you try install your own DE and configure it, If I could have something like i3 and URXVT on OSX I would be in heaven.

I have had a lot of issues with elementary os in the past, plus I never really got on with it even though I think it looks nice.
This all depends, how mission critical is this laptop? if its rather critical I would say Debian, specifically Debian over CentOS, generally I find its better documented and dam good on resources (70MB with LXDE anyone!)
If your not as critical I personally would run Arch Linux on it, only issue is the dual graphics, I would consult the Arch forums + wiki for tips.
Additionally if you decide to go with Arch check out Arch-Anywhere, I have been testing it in a VM for very fast builds and its dam good, its Arch but with an installer, only issue is the adding additional software doesn't seem to work for me.
If you want bleeding edge but pre-built distro go for Fedora LXDE spin, lightweight and rather new, but updates can be an issue so a good backup is recommended.