Which KVM Manager for Several Nodes

(english is not my native language, please excuse my bad writing skill)

Hello all, I need your suggestions, advice. I work for a startup and at present me and my colleague are managing 56 KVM hosts, all running on Ubuntu 16.04, and we are managing the VM deployment using python based wrapper which is using virsh tool. I must say there are lottof manual work involved, starting from searching which VM is hosted on which KVM, finding out duplicate VMs using MAC addresses (virsh domiflist) and of course the VM migrations. We wanted to setup oVirt but that does not have support or packages readily available for Ubuntu; VDSM does not work out of the box. Thinking of Proxmos. What would you suggest? How do one manage several KVM nodes in PRODuction environment?

Proxmox is a good option, but I’ve found that it starts to have trouble when the VM count reaches 300-400.

is there a reason you need Ubuntu and can’t use CentOS? oVirt may better fit your use case.

Thanks for your prompt response. It has to be ubuntu because all our critical services are running on vms on those ubuntu kvms, our ansible playbooks for the kvms are written according to file PATH ubuntu maintains, it will be huge work in migrating all the kvms to CentOS. We have more than 600 vms running on those kvm nodes.

ProxMox has the added benefit of being based on Debian so your Ubuntu packages should be fairly plug-and-play.