Which is the better pair of headphones?

Hello chums,

At the moment I'm planning on getting a new pair of headphones and a ModMic 4.0 (Omnidirectional with mute if you wanted to know) to go with it, as at the moment I use a cheap gaming headset (Turtle Beach Ear Force P11). There are a couple of models of headphones which I'm quite split between at the moment:

Superlux HD668B: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003JOETX8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AH32YJP281GBN

Audio-Technica ATH-M20X: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HVLUR18/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Superlux HD681EVO: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IMEXEMC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1MGV5HRNEKKRT

I have heard good things about each of these headphones. At the moment I use a closed design, and I have never used an open design. I also like over-ear headphones - I hate on-ear ones. Each of these headphones is around my price range, but which is the better pair? I do a lot of gaming and a little bit of music production. If someone could help me pick between these or suggest a different pair I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Probably the HD 668B if you don't mind the cheaper build quality. Consider getting another set of earpads though.

Thanks for the reply!

What is the bass like on the HD668B? I heard it's quite treble-y but could I change that by turning up the bass or turning down the treble?

You'd probably want to break them in. They have crazy highs out of the box but after break-in they're nice but elevated (I prefer a little more highs). The bass is there but not quite as much as closed cans have in general. And yeah, you definitely want to change the pads for better comfort. The ones that come with it are horrible. I used the stock pads for over a year before I changed them. Should've done it earlier.
I'd also suggest taking a look at the Takstar 2050 but they have jumped up in price recently. Sadface.

Thanks for the reply!

Can I change the treble elevation in any way? Bring it down to make the bass sound more enhanced?

Sure you can use EQ to balance it out. That's what I did when I got them because I wasn't patient enough to break them in, haha.

Thanks for the reply!

How long could it even take to break them in? And how can I adjust the EQ?

Hey. no problem. Glad to help.
In regular use it would probably take a week or two. Otherwise you can leave them on the table and play music through them at semi-loud volume when you're not using them.
You need a program for adjusting EQ levels. I can't remember any off the top of my head but you can always search for it.

Thanks for the reply!

It looks like I've made a decision then - the Superlux HD668Bs. I'll just have to adjust the EQ a bit, maybe even after they've broken in.

I would also like to clarify - they are over-ear, and not on-ear, right?

Also, where could I get some earpads for them? As Pakemania said earlier, "you definitely want to change the pads for better comfort".

Thanks for all the help guys!

Yup, they're over-ear.
For the pads, I'm using these: http://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_k240270271_velour_ohrpolster.htm
You can find these on amazon and other places too. There are probably some other ones that fit if you don't want to use these ones. The internet surely knows.

Thanks for the reply!

Are these ones OK? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GMISIGM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1L2XLZL3MF9Z0

They appear to be the same ones that you sent but a little bit cheaper.

They seem good to me. If they fit the AKGs they most likely fit the 668bs too.I had something else to say but I forgot. Damn.
Anyway, if you haven't yet, I suggest go check out the review and sound demo of these headphones by Z Reviews on youtube.

Thanks for the reply!

They seem to sound pretty good. I guess in that case I'll buy the headphones and the earpads.

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome!

Why do you want an omni? Usually a cardioid polar parttern (uni-directional) is best, because it will only be sensitive to generally what's in front of it. This way your mic isn't picking up the sound from your speakers (if you're not using headphones) or the clattering of your keyboard (especially if it's mechanical) and if it does, it's seriously attenuated.

Cardioid

Omnidirectional

Are you sure you posted this into the right thread?

Yes, even though OP was asking about headphones, he mentioned he was getting an omnidirectional mic. I suggested that he may want to reconsider that choice and go for the unidirectional ModMic

Oh. I missed that part.

I looked on YouTube at a few tests of the different ModMics, and the omnidirectional version sounded a little better. I also didn't notice much of a difference in keyboard sound, but I don't think the tester had a mechanical keyboard.

Not sure if this is one of the videos, but in this one, the cardioid does sound of lesser quality. I see this isn't as clear cut as I thought it would be. I think this has more to do with the mic position, as position is important with a cardioid polar pattern vs. an omni, which picks up evenly all around. This guy also has the cardioid positioned closer at times, which will invoke the proximity effect. It also seems the soundcard will affect fidelity. This guy obviously was too lazy to shoot everything with one mic then the other, then cut everything together. It would've been way more consistent with mic position though.

By the way, what purpose will the headphones serve: gaming, music, both? I'm guessing gaming, since you're getting a ModMic.