Which is easier Static MAC Address Binding or manually assigning IP Addresses on each device?

I am studying for the CompTIA Network +. Which is easier for network admins to manage, Static MAC Address Binding or manually assigning IP Addresses on each device?

There are pros and cons to both.

Static mappings allow centralized management, but increases your dependence on DHCP.

I personally like to use static mappings on DHCP, but others will prefer manual assignments.

I would definitely say Mac Binding through DHCP. To me being able to centerly manage is the way to go.

Definitely DHCP.

Much easier to handle changes, and you get a modicum of protection against IP address collisions which are always fun to troubleshoot.

You can also get fancy, using different IP assignments based on group policy. I’ve used that trick before to deny access to devices that show problems. Just kick them off the authenticated network and give them reduce access (say, to an update server or your repos your config management uses).

1 Like

Here is an example I just came up with:
So let’s say you have new computers come in. You add them to the inventory list with all the info including the mac address. You export out the mac address so you can do Mac Binding through DHCP. You won’t have to input each ip into the computers.

1 Like

I am not in enterprise, or have certs, so take this for what it is worth.

I like setting static leases. Most pcs are usually DHCP by default, so nothing needs to be done to individual systems. All of the work can be done on whatever device is handing out DHCP leases. For my home network, this is how I handle devices that need a “static” IP.

EDIT: spelling

Instances where you’d be more likely to manually define an IP are on essential server or network infrastructure like a domain controller, and of course the dhcp server itself will need a manually defined address.

1 Like

Static MAC address binding for sure.

Single point of management being the DHCP server(s). If it’s all DHCP i can change the entire subnet’s options or IP range from a single management point. Try doing that to 200 or more endpoints with static assignments on the device.

If you’re doing manual assignments for anything other than critical stuff that needs to be up before DHCP you’re probably doing it wrong.

Especially with laptops. As soon as the user moves site (or takes machine home, etc.) their static IP doesn’t work.

Furthermore… relying on static configuration in the first place (again, unless it is for something mission critical that needs to be up before DHCP) is probably doing it wrong also. This is what DNS is for. As IPv6 comes into play, you don’t want to be typing out or remembering full ipv6 addresses either.

PLUS:
If you do static assignments on device, you need to maintain a record of what you have assigned (text file, spreadsheet, etc. - which inevitably gets out of date and doesn’t 100% reflect reality). Which is additional administrative overhead. Why do this when DHCP does it for you automatically?

1 Like