Which is better GPU for 1080p gaming? GTX980ti, GTX1060 or GTX1080?

R9 FURY

(bombshell dropped)

^_^

Right, I know. I was giving examples of AMD drivers in general, and why I kinda don't prefer them. Obviously AHCI is not GPU-related. The AHCI driver is AMD because the A85X chipset on my mobo is AMD, thus AMD drivers.

And my current system is only because I had to build it on an extreme budget. In fact, it was a Tek Syndicate video I watched a few years back, where they showcased the AMD APU series of CPUs in one of their budget gaming builds videos.

1 Like

I think a rx 480 and it is a great 1080p card. I think a gtx 1060 would be fine if you want to go the green team route. It does preform slightly better than my card even. Really a 1060 is over kill for 1080p gaming at 60fps, but you won't have to upgrade for a while.

if you have the money to consider a gtx 1080 or 980ti for 1080p gaming then the 1070 is what you should get. its not really much of a contest.

Probably the best choice for future proofing his system as its Crossfire support. However if he intends to move to Linux gaming, well then your mileage will vary considerably.

New Radeon Software drivers are kind of awesome. Actually, AMD drivers have been pretty solid for the last few years and they keep getting better. I'd go with the 480 if I were you. It's currently best bang for buck. Even on Linux the new 4.7 Kernel is supposed to bring some good changes for AMD cards with 480 support.

No one has mentioned the R9 390x dx12 and 8gb

Thank you everyone for your input. I've decided to go with the GTX1070. If in the future I get more serious about gaming I can buy another one and go the SLI route.

I know you don't want one, but a 480 is worth the time. NV still has no async and the DX12 performance isn't that great in comparison.

1 Like

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong here... but i seem to recall a time earlier this year where Nvidia drivers caused crashes, freezes, even bricking certain systems. Nvidia's "amazing" drivers are not that amazing. And speaking from personal experience I've had no issues whatsoever with any of my AMD drivers (though I've only had the system a year and a half).

If you need to go Nvidia, however, I'd say 1060 or 980Ti (since the 1070 is ludicrously expensive and the 1080 is pointless, especially for your needs). But, don't be complaining when in a couple of years the 480 is beating them in performance both because of its better async, dx12, and vulkan support, as well as we have seen time and time again cards that were losing to the Nvidia equivalent at launch are destroying them once the next gen comes out.

1 Like

Funny thing, I have an older GPU and a worse CPU (both AMD) and I occasionally play some of the newest titles at medium-high settings on 1080p with no major issues....

Lets see here, you are using a relatively weak APU and an unheard of GPU ( can't seem to find that GPU on newegg) plus the older driver stack. The RX 480 8GB Nitro from Sapphire is your Best bang for buck. I run an Intel i7 4770k with an AMD Radeon HD 7970 with NO issues. Your MB drivers aside, an AMD GPU is not causing the rest of your machine to run poorly. Nvidia will not solve all your problems. And if you are willing to drop $450+ on a GPU, why not upgrade that APU and Mobo and pick up the RX480 and spend about the same and get overall better performance?

Here is a basic AMD upgrade build I slapped together for about $450.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor | $83.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard | ASRock A88M-G/3.1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard | $47.98 @ Newegg
Memory | Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory | $44.98 @ Newegg
Other| SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 100406NT+8GOCL 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card | $279.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $471.94
| Mail-in rebates | -$15.00
| Total | $456.94
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-02 11:30 EDT-0400 |

This is the cheapest comparable Intel CPU based build variant I could put together that changed the same parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Pentium G4500 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor | $83.58 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $101.99 @ Newegg
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory | $37.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card | Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card | $279.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $503.44
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-02 11:35 EDT-0400 |

1 Like

No reason not to go 1440p with a $2500 budget. Fuck, even 4k would make sense.

1 Like

Speaking my language, dog.

1 Like

a GTX 970 with overclocking can do 1080p ultra settings for most games.

Why a Pentium? An i5 or even an i3 would be much better.

hes doing equivalent price and performance not just better for the price

Yeah, but that Pentium won't do much better if at all, maybe worse in newer games than the Athlon X4 880, it would be a godsend for Dolphin Emulation though.

I was trying to stay in the $450 price range while swapping CPU, Mobo, RAM and GPU.