Which GPU?

Some gpu manufacturers have multiple cards at the same level ( i.e gigabyte has a windforce 3x oc and a g1 gaming gpu at the gtx 980 and 980 ti). Their only difference, at least that I can see, is manufacturer overclocks.

Would it be best to just purchase the lower priced card and overclock it myself since they are both a gtx 980 that could probably clock to about 1500 MHz anyway? Same thing with the 980 TI if I decide to go that route? Is there any value in purchasing the higher priced card?

I personally like factory OC cards, as I don;t enjoy messing around with the OC settings myself.

I totally agree, I hate messing with MSI afterburner, not because it's difficult but because it's time consuming. But my goodness, I'm looking at two EVGA 980s on newegg right now. The classified is only $469 while the 2983-KR is $588!! And what's incredible to me is the classified has a higher overclock. Other than the fact that the classified requires two eight pins compared to the 2983-KR's two six pin connectors, they're exactly the same card. Apparently EVGA and/or newegg thinks the lower power consumption is worth the more than $100 difference even though the classified is actually faster manufacturer oc!

My point being, wait a coupe of days for the new Nvidia GPUs... And if you can, wait until Computex for AMD GPUs...

I won't be buying any amd cards. 1) I've got a gsync monitor and 2) there's too many games with gamesworks and other software that produce better results with NVidia cards. Drivers are much better as well. But I will wait till pascal drops, because even if the pascal cards aren't a better value they will certainly force a price drop within the Maxwell cards.

Strongly disagree... There are reports of the newest drivers blocking Windows10... Again, the Windows10 get's broken by Nvidia's drivers...

Yeah, AC Unity and Arkham Knight...

But OK... I accept the GSync argument... Nothing else... So wait a couple of days for the new Nvidia GPUs to come out. They will probably have better DX12 support, better power management, etc... And will have slight performance boost...

1 Like