Which ECC DDR4 to get the most out of Zen 3?

Hello there,

so I’m researching parts to buy with a 5900X (on X570) and I’m a bit unsure about the RAM.
I need 64GiB and would like ECC, which leaves me with rather slow DIMMs that I would have to overclock to not miss out on too much performance.
So what’s the optimal / most promising choice?

I guess my options are basically:

1. 4 x 16GiB 2666 DR Samsung B-Die M391A2K43BB1-CTD << these seem to be the best chips when binned? But I guess this results in QR and that might be bad for overclocking?
  2. 4 x 16GiB 3200 SR Micron E-Die KSM32ES8/16ME
  3. 2 x 32GiB 3200 DR Micron E-Die KSM32ED8/32ME
  4. 2 x 32GiB 3200 DR Samsung A-Die M391A4G43AB1-CWE

Any opinions on this?

Please examine the specs for your motherboard and determine if the DR dimms will operate at the speeds you think they will on that mobo. SR dimms generally are prefered for higher speeds on some motherboards and when you populate all 4 dimm slots your sustainable memory speed may drop harshly.

For example, a motherboard may support 2933 for ONE SR ECC dimm but if you use four SR/DR ECC dimms that same motherboard might only support 1866 !!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ve seen a few QVLs that only said whether 4 modules would be supported, not that those would be slower. I don’t have the motherboard yet, but I guess 2 x 32GiB is the way to go then …

The higher the density on the modules the harder time your board and CPU’s IMC will have sustaining the RAM’s speed, and once you start populating all the DIMM slots chances are it will not run at stock speeds (unless you tweak it yourself).

I may have forgotten
5. 2 x 32GiB 3200 DR Micron B-Die MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1
Just found someone in a German forum posting some promising (?) results: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/attachments/ram2-png.529996/

I’m using 2x32GB of the Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTD in my NAS on a B550 Steel Legend with the 3600. I can see how stable they are running at 3200 on stock voltage and timings, if you like? Seen a couple of people running them like that without issue.

If you feel like it I’d be interested. Though I do plan to run these modules at 3200 minimum, preferably 3600+. Your modules I initially dismissed because this seems to be quite a big overclock. But now I see buildzoid got your kit (without ECC) to 3600 / CL17

If you can achieve the same that would indicate some consistency in overclocking potential which is all I’m looking for at this point.

2x32GB Micron E for sure.

Is the Samsung stuff even for sale? It has been on “sample” status for more then a year. And nobody uses A die in their memory overclock, Micron E on the other hand goes fast when binned right.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.